Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;1915
...it wasn't too bad sitting out on the Cockshutt 40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieIg5iKliJM
[video=youtube;ieIg5iKliJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieIg5iKliJM[/video]

Ralph, that is one fine-running machine.  Gotta love that smooth six-cylinder sound.  Thanks for another great video!

Dean Vinson

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »
Thanks Dean. Glad you enjoyed the video. I was beginning to think the forum was out of commission as there had been no activity in a while and when I tried to post an update, it didn't appear.
We just continue with the cloudy miserable weather and a thin layer of snow although the sun is finally out this morning. I finally got around to some maintenance on that Cockshutt 40, tightening the axle nut on one rear hub that has loosened up. These tapered splines will wear out to the point that they can't be tightened anymore if left too long. I've got a stack of worn out axles in my "spare parts bin" to prove it. :eek:
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
You're welcome, Ralph.  I have to confess to being one of the folks that doesn't post much anymore, but I do enjoy checking in now and then.  I still live in the suburbs but still intend to move to a more rural setting within the foreseeable future--have even set up initial contact with the realtor and made some visits to properties currently for sale to start getting educated on what's achievable--so hopefully one of these years I can put my Super M to good use (and post some videos to keep yours company).

Dean

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »
Guess I have been a little remiss on keeping up to date.

Dean, hope your plans come together. Would be nice to see the Super M back to doing what it was built for.

Wet conditions in Ohio are finally letting up a little. Rains have held off for the past week and corn harvest restarted on Monday. Soybean fields are still wet, but I did see a couple fields being combined yesterday. Fair weather looks like it will stay through the weekend allowing field work to get back to normal. Not much wheat being planted as the soil is still too wet to work and the soybeans still standing in fields planned for wheat.

Had a heavy wet snow last week on Tuesday. Had about 5 to 6 inches of very heavy wet snow. Most had melted by mid afternoon, but was heavy enough to bring out the snowplows.

I traded trucks last week. The 98 Dodge was starting to show its age and miles so I traded it on a 2005 Dodge 1 ton with 4 wheel drive, diesel engine and quad cab and 6 speed manual transmission. Been using it to tow the wagons hauling corn and seems to be doing a good job.

Swap meet at Wapakoneta is this Friday and Saturday. Nice weather is forecast for the weekend so should be a good turnout of vendors and buyers. Plan to go for that.

This morning's weather is a very heavy, freezing fog. Visibility is about 1/4 mile with temperature at 28 degrees. Schools are all on 2 hour delay. Have another load of corn to haul today, but will wait till the weather clears some.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »
How about that.  In just a day or two I went from being the last post to being "odd man out".  That is good.  Actually I started to post yesterday but found I was not signed in since I had to start this hard drive over as new.  My book of "TOP SECRET" names and passwords was downstairs by my laptop.  Would anyone believe that I actually remembered to bring it back up here last night.  (Confession:  My wife reminded me a couple of times.)  Daylight came Wednesday morning and found our temp. at 18.5 Deg. F.  Today started out a little better, in the 20's.  The few remaining leaves hang on tree branches were dropping like flies all day yesterday.  Luckily there has been no snow on the ground here yet, but a few flurries in the air.  

Good luck Dean in your search for country land.  If I were 10 years younger I would do the same.  Congratulations again Gene on the dually.  I know you are already enjoying it.  Do you plan to take one wheel off each back side and replace them with a spacer for winter driving.  The front wheel drive will be a help. but rear duals sure do not get much traction unless they are heavily loaded.  Just wondering!

It seems that a lot of corn and some of the soybeans around here are gone.  Numerous fields of winter wheat and looking pretty good too.  On the outdoor scene I still need to get the snow blowers checked out and running  and a half a dozen other prep chores still need to be done.  I got a steroid shot in one knee yesterday so that may help my mobility a little.  In a week or so when the medicine comes in I will begin the three shot series in the other knee like I had done last year.  I guess old is better than dead, but it ain't always fun.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »
Charlie;

Hope the knees get better. My brother 6 years older than I had problems with a hip and knees. Had replacement surgery on both and is getting along just fine with the new parts. He is able to work on his Packards and Farmall tractors better than he has for several years.

I will have some minor surgery in about a week or so. Have a lump on my lower left jaw and a spot on my lung that will have to be biopsied. Just waiting for the schedule at Ohio State Hospital for that. Old age ain't for the faint of heart is it?

Corn and soybean harvest has been in full swing the last 3 days here. Soybean fields are being cut and rutted in some places. Field just west of me was cut off by 2 big John Deere combines with tracks on them. Got over the ground very well and little damage to the ground. Most operators have the trucks parked near or on the roads to load out.

Charlie, I have put over 500 miles on the new Dodge so far. Most of it has been pulling wagons at less than 30 MPH. Has been doing very well at this. The hauling is mostly done now. Will have some later working out of the cribs to take to the chicken farm. They will be shutting down the organic side of the grain operation to repair storm damage. Will be building an all new leg and will be down for 2 weeks.

Wapakoneta swap meet is going on now. Weather has been very nice for that. Forecast to be 67 degrees today. Nice to see the sunshine again.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »
I have to say I do not envy you on your upcoming surgery, Gene.  You have my most sincere wishes for good results.  I know I am way past the need for some joint replacements.  Every time I think about doing it, it seems like the wrong time for one reason or another.  The steroid shot in the left knee has not helped a lot so far.  Today I go for the first injection of the series of three in the right knee.  Those fixed that knee up pretty well last year.  Not too much fun, but at least it helps.

The warm weather that you had last week finally got here for Sunday and yesterday.  Very nice to get some time outside again and we managed to get several winter prep chores accomplished.  

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
Gene, I hope things turn out well for you and you keep on truckin. Charlie, I guess that knee and hip problem sure takes the fun out of a lot of things. I know I have to be careful with mine or it will let me know.
I'm putting a photo from yesterday here taken when I was putting hay bales out for the cattle . The little Massey gets around pretty good considering the 8 to 10 inches of snow that seem to be laying around. Deeper in places where it drifted. Its an early start to winter even for us but I guess I am ready.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #308 on: November 22, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Weather for the last 10 days has been mostly dry and seasonally warm and very pleasant for outdoor work. Corn and soybean harvest is virtually all done. Soil conditions are very good for fall tillage work. Have been  seeing more moldboard plowing this fall than I have seen in several years. Outbreaks of glyphosate resistant and annual weeds have many going to full tillage to eradicate some of them.

I spent 2 days in Bellefontaine and Ohio State hospitals for loss of blood from an intestinal ulcer caused by some kind of virus. Was discharged Wednesday, so am able to be home for Thanksgiving. Blood transfusions at Bellefontaine hospital on Monday eliminated the severe anemia caused by that. Doing well this morning.

Hope all are doing well today and appreciate all things we have to give thanks.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #309 on: November 22, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Sorry to hear of that situation, Gene, but pleased to hear that you are home today.  Hospital stays are never that much fun.  Maybe a good dose of turkey and dressing will put you back on the right track.  I have been wondering how you were doing because of the other conditions which you mentioned previously.  We also have had a nice run of pleasant weather for this time of year.  Today is going to be about the end of it with conditions starting to change tomorrow and winter by the weekend.  

For just the two of us, a turkey in the oven is not real practical as it is a lot of work and we are not able to eat much at a time anyway.  We end up with quite a bit of waste since even with freezing some it will not be used up in a reasonable length of time.  Dressing and gravy sound good, but we have elected to do a frozen pizza in the convection oven today.  We buy the rising crust supreme and when I do them to a light golden brown they are sooooo good.  One of the few things that we both enjoy.  When cut into six slices, we can usually eat two apiece and we are stuffed.  That leaves two slices left over for tomorrow.  That's a far cry from the Thanksgiving dinners we used to enjoy, but it works for us.

Now being nearly noon, it is about time to go preheat the oven, so I will take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #310 on: November 22, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
Thanks for the holiday wishes Charlie.

My neighbors have invited me over for spiral sliced ham this evening. Ham is one of my favorite dishes.

Been doing well today. Went out and visited my next door neighbor who is plowing his field next to my drive. He helped my other neighbor keep things in order while I was gone. Have to give thanks for the good neighbors I have here. After visiting with him, my dog wanted me to run back to the house. This was an exhilirating experience and seemed to take very little effort. Bandy was sure happy to see me home last night. Has been my constant companion all morning. Doing my laundry today to get caught up on that.

Sure hope you are enjoying your non-traditional meal. Sounds better than having to waste what you are not able to eat.

Looks like Ralph is back to winter weather with colder temps and a light snow. Looks like it will be after the weekend before we will get the colder temps and possible light snow by Sunday or Monday. We have certainly have had time to prepare for the forecast colder winter season.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #311 on: November 23, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Gene, glad to hear you are doing better. Like some famous person once said, "gettin old ain't for sissies". I believe it more with each passing year. And you are right about our weather. A mild start to the week allowed me to get 3 semis of grain out just in time for another big dump of snow. Back to shoveling I guess. You can see some of it in this video I shot a day ago.
[video=youtube;fEOnJ4M6YJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOnJ4M6YJg[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #312 on: November 23, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
Ralph,

It looks like your nine little friends have some nice heavy Sask. winter coats on.  Most likely they will need them.  I almost expected to see a deer or two under the pines.  Good Video.  Thanks for posting.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
It's been awhile since I last checked in.
Looks like this thread is the only one showing any sign of life.

As for news, I did get another Ford 4000 with the 3 cylinder diesel.
I was having problems with my other 4000 so I bought another one instead.

My old one had the SOS transmission which was okay and I really didn't have any problems with it.  But that tractor never did start well cold and always needed the manifold heater and a bunch of cranking to get started it the engine wasn't already warm.

Although the new tractor I got looks like crap compared to the old one, at least this one starts without needing the manifold heater!  This one also has the manual transmission and the pto is much stronger.  My old tractor if I was tilling and got too deep or mowing and got into really heavy stuff the pto would start slipping.

I'm starting to wonder now if my starting problems on the old tractor was maybe the timing was slightly off on the injection pump.

I may end up robbing some of the nicer stuff off my old tractor and move them to the newer one.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Hi George. I guess it would be good to see some pictures of those Fords of yours. My brother has an old 5000 with a front end loader. That six cylinder Ford diesel was one of the smoothest running engines I have ever heard.
Ralph in Sask.