Hello Guest

I'll quit lurking if you will

• 11 Replies

Danny

• View Profile
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »
After my getting off the mail list, a few weeks later I rejoined but stayed silent. This new forum is so nice I have to speak up and compliment Spencer. I'd like to see more threads, more involvement. So I'll run my mouth a little....

Despite spending most of today doing taxes:confused: it turned out to be a good tractor afternoon.  I spent much of the afternoon getting tractors I've let accumulate at my neighbors junkyard out of the bushes. Most are in the open and tomorrow I'll start trailering them home.

Most will be parted out and put on shelves. A couple though, I'm thinking real strongly on getting running. one of them is an Oliver 70. Its single front wheel and spindle was robbed from it long before I got it but I have one to put on it. Whats really unusual about it is the extra long axle housings and strange pads on them. Of course its a vegetable tractor, came out of Jersey, and has extra long axles as well.

Another one I'm planning on getting going is an oliver 25. which really is an early Industrial 70. I'd thought about making it an Airport 25 but really don't have enough information about them or if their serial number plates marked them as airports. The serial # on the plate I have is 400025 which tells me its  the 25th tractor off the assembly line. The 4 indicates that its an industrial. Its an early tractor so I better do it right!

I drug home from the junkyard an Ann Arbor haypress. Its stuck but I don't think it'll take much to free it. What sheet metal they have is shot. Not really a big deal.....after everythings home I'll dig into it a little more.

Now the project I've been spending the past few days on is an Oliver 77 standard. Just a little while ago I got her running, on either anyway. Now I need to head off to the store and get some high $$$ copper tubing and fittings to make the fuel line. Oh yea and a sediment bowl. I think she'll run just fine on gas. After that I need to look into the steering cause it DON'T! and the gear shifter needs some attention. Nothing major I'm sure. After that I can start looking for the less important pieces its missing drawbar, side curtains etc.

I'll talk about the Oliver 70 wide front I got running again after being mad at it for 5 years. Turned out to be a simple fix....but I'll talk about that later. I've hopefully said enough to make other fingers fondle the keys a while  :)

Danny Tabor

Danny

• View Profile
I'll keep talking to myself...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
Today I brought home 4 tractors from the junkyard 2 Oliver 60's, one of them I'll get going for its not in bad shape. The other two was a Oliver 70 which will be a parts tractor. I'll try and get some pics of it before tearing it down as it really has some interesting farmer "rigging" done to it. Like the attempt of putting duals on the back. On one side they put a Farmall H hub on the outside of the oliver hub and on the other side I think its an Ol 77 hub outside the original 70 hub. It really tickles me to see it.
         The other tractor that came home is a Hart Parr 70. It was too far gone to do anything with but part out. In fact I had just gotten done taking all the good stuff off of it tonight. It amazes me that the starter on it actually works. Goodness knows how long it had been sitting out. Also how easy the bolts came out for as rough and rusted this old tractor was.

Tomorrow I'll drag one of the other donors in and start working on tearing it down. I'm not sure which it'll be.

Danny Tabor

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
Danny,

Life is pretty lonely on this forum.  Not sure what the reason is.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
I know George but I'll keep talking to myself atleast until others join in the conversation.  I saw in another thread you have an Oliver 99. I as well have a 99 hidden amongst my other Ollies as well as the 99's older brother a Hart parr 28-44. The 28-44 is a Thresherman Special with the solid cast front and back wheels and the cleats are close together for better road travel. Also the extra big belt pulley.

I'm afraid I didn't get much done with the tractors today as the paying job called me off earlier than I expected

Danny Tabor

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »
I'm going to have to check over here about once a week as I see Danny is back. Who's going to show up next? When I get a chance I'll post some pictures of dad's Cub we just painted--before it gets filthy on grass mowing detail!

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:12:10 AM »
Quote from: John Hall;169
I'm going to have to check over here about once a week as I see Danny is back. Who's going to show up next? When I get a chance I'll post some pictures of dad's Cub we just painted--before it gets filthy on grass mowing detail!

I gettin' tired of talkin to myself. It does get a little lonesome here but check twice a week and write once. Might make it a more popular hang out.

Danny

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
Quote from: Danny;172
I gettin' tired of talkin to myself. It does get a little lonesome here but check twice a week and write once. Might make it a more popular hang out.

Danny

Howdy folks. While you are waiting for some activity here, check out this interesting looking antique tractor auction sale coming up in Sask. in July. Theres a good assortment of colours including a couple of JD model A tractors with "osculating front ends". Didn't know that was possible on a tractor. :confused:
Heres a sample of whats at the sale. This 400 IH out in the snow.
Ralph in Sask.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;176
Howdy folks. While you are waiting for some activity here, check out this interesting looking antique tractor auction sale coming up in Sask. in July. Theres a good assortment of colours including a couple of JD model A tractors with "osculating front ends". Didn't know that was possible on a tractor. :confused:
Heres a sample of whats at the sale. This 400 IH out in the snow.

What do you mean by "osculating front ends" .  I'm trying to visualize it.

A very nice looking 400 any Ollies at the sale.

Danny

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Quote from: Danny;178
What do you mean by "osculating front ends" .  I'm trying to visualize it.

A very nice looking 400 any Ollies at the sale.

Danny

My mistake Danny, meant to post a link to the auction. So here it is.
http://www.schapansky.com/2008-07-25.htm
I see one Oliver 77 listed there. Plus a couple of Cockshutt decalled Olivers from the late thirties or fourties.  A rare old Field Marshall too.
Re: osculating, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osculating_circle
Although it might be
 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=osculate
My guess is that the auctioneer was really trying to say "oscillating" front end but spell check or something came up with osculate.
Ralph in Sask.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
Ralph,
     How difficult is it to bring stuff across the border?  I'd sure like to get one of the Cockshutt 80's.  Its too far for me to travel anyway I'm sure. Probably be better to buy in the states with the weakened dollar, For the time being.

Danny

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »
Quote from: Danny;180
Ralph,
     How difficult is it to bring stuff across the border?  I'd sure like to get one of the Cockshutt 80's.  Its too far for me to travel anyway I'm sure. Probably be better to buy in the states with the weakened dollar, For the time being.

Danny

Danny, I have no idea if it is difficult to bring old tractors across the border. I wouldn't think there would be a problem but who knows. I hear that some of our old tractors are going across the atlantic to the British Isles to collectors there.
This particular sale is a good ways north of me and outside my usual range of travelling . Not that I need any more old rusty iron on this farm. :)
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
My experience in crossing the border with old iron and the experience some of my friends have had in the past is that it varies depending on the border crossing agent.  Most times there is no problem bringing stuff across the border, but every once in awhile you get some jerk that just likes to show you that they have the power to give you a hard time.

Just be nice and friendly when talking to them and you should be okay.