Hello Guest

Snow Plow Questions

• 2 Replies
Snow Plow Questions
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
I have an old 1978 Dodge snow commander with a Meyers plow on it.  It came from the factory with the plow.  Anyway, I'm tired of all the fluids leaking from every orface on the truck and it needs to go away.  I only use it to plow my driveway so it doesn't have to work that hard.  After pricing out new plows, I was wondering if I could just buy a new Meyers plow mount that fits my truck 1997 F250, and use the old plow with it?  I think it would be too much work to modify the old dodge mount to fit my ford (I measured last night and it wouldn't be easy).  Does anyone know if it would even be possible to do something like this, or have the plow styles changed so much over the past 30 years that a new mount would never work on an old plow (from the same manufacturer)?

Plow mount
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
I do not know the answer to your question, Joe.  I had a similar plow on a '79 chev.  It is the Myers electro touch, and a nice heavy unit.  I did not try to use that plow on my 95 truck because I wanted a unit where the lights and pump remove with the plow.  I ended up with a Western pro plow that needed a ton of cleaning and painting, but the Chev. truck  mount frame came with it.  Once on the truck, this is a great plow.  It seems that no matter which way you go with these things they are a ton of work to install.  

As to your question, I think you may find that the truck frame may fit several years of your model Dodge truck.  Most of the frames for Chev. full size fit '89 -'97 I believe it was.  If the same is true for Dodge, it might open some doors in your search for the truck mount.

Charlie V.

Snow Plow Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »
Thanks Charlie,  I'm finding that it is cheaper to buy a whole plow truck, than it is to buy just a plow for my truck.  In a way it's frustrating because I really don't need another truck sitting around (and hoped to get rid of one), but since I don't need to put plates or insurance on it, it doesn't cost much (other than the purchase price) to keep around.  I have my eye on a 1-ton 4X4 dodge with a plow and crane on the back on e-bay right now.  At least I could use the crane to move tractors around the yard when I get bored.