Hello Guest

International Truck Engine

• 17 Replies
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
The latest project I am involved in was an unknown 4 cylinder engine. I posted pictures on SmokStak and the helpful people there identified it as a 1917 truck engine. What is unique about the engine is that there is no cylinder head. It has a oil pump that is a piston type that is driven off a cam lobe. It pumps into a piece of tubing that is drilled with holes directly above and to the side of the rods. The oil pan has trays beneath each rod that this oil drips into and then the rod cap dips into that. The pictures provided to me show this engine was mounted in the truck frame backwards with the radiator next to the driver.
I'll post more pictures as work progresses.
Dave E

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
What are you going to do with it when done? Build a display stand or mount it on a trailer powering some sort of farm equipment? Of course you could go find the rest of the truck.:p

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
Here is a couple more pictures.
John, good question. Donno.
Dave E

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »
Dave;
Several years ago, there was a mid teens International truck that was exhibited at the Urbana, Ohio show. Engine looked like the one pictured. Radiator was behind the engine as you describe. Used hard rubber tires and chain drive to the rear wheels. Haven't seen the truck for several years, so don't know if it is still around.

A family from Plain City, Ohio, used to exhibit a 1915 Clydesdale truck made in Clyde, Ohio. Was also on hard rubber and used a Continental 4 cylinder engine with a block cast with individual cylinders. Used a 5 speed and a 4 speed transmission. Truck was found in an abandoned stone quarry where it had worked. The family showed it for several years till the son died and they haven't showed it since. Was a treat to parade around in the truck with the son.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
This link should show a photo of a 1917 International truck... Gene

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/UDMANInternationals/1003415378
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:41:05 PM by Gene Dotson »

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:36:24 PM by Gene Dotson »

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
Dave,

A guy in California I know just restored a 1917 International truck and sent me whole bunch of pictures of the truck.  I'll look up your email address and forward some of the pictures to you.

George

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
Received them George, thanks.
See you in Woodland on the 24th.
Dave E

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
Thanks Dave!

For reminding me it is the weekend of the 24th!

For some unknown reason I was recently thinking it was the following weekend :o  Although there is an auction and swapmeet a bit further south then so all would not have been lost.

See you at Woodland!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
George,
I'm not sure I'll buy anything as I just purchased 2-2 horse Fairbanks vertical T's and a 4 horse vertical stover from a guy East of you in Montana. $3K for all!
Dave E

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »
****! Wish I could find deals like that.

Sure you need that 4hp Stover?

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
Interesting.

Just noticed that "d a m n" (without spaces) gets replaced with 4 asterisks.
Must be some automated censor system.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
Quote from: GeorgeBest;859
****! Wish I could find deals like that.

Sure you need that 4hp Stover?

George,
They were advertised in your Iron Trader back in July or August. I forgot about them and subsequently saw them on Spencers ATIS list of items for sale. He received no responses, so the price kept coming down......
$1K for two Fairbanks T's in unheard of. Giving him $2K for the Stover.
I have one T that I've completely gone through and painted and is a keeper. Haven't decided what to do about the others besides repairing them back to running condition. Maybe paint and peddle. The Stover will go into the collection.
Dave E

Almost Done
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:47:13 AM »
Almost finished, working on the radiator
Dave E

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »
That is some beautiful work, Dave.  Wish I could be there the firsr time you fire it up.

Charlie V.