Hello Guest

I'm a Senior

• 10 Replies
I'm a Senior
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
Hey, my last post was number 100. I am now officially a senior, and not only in years. :):):)

Sure would like to see more senior members here.

To keep it tractor related, I did use the Case 700 diesel and New Idea rake to rerake 6 acres of hay today. Still waterlogged.

Gene

I'm a Senior
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
Nice job, Senior Gene.  Congratulations.  

After all of the weather that six acres of down hay has seen, will it be salvageable?   Will mildew be a concern? (Only asking because I really do not know.

Charlie  V.

I'm a Senior
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »
Charlie;

Yes, mildew and mold is a definite possibility. The higher ground will be salvagable for cattle hay. This crop was so heavy that the hay on the bottom of the windrows was still green. The windrows were dry on top, but much of it is in standing water. Had a nice drying day today and another promised for tomorrow. Shame it turned out this way as it had a good possibility of making 90 to 100 bales per acre. Second cutting is coming along now and it shows good promise if the weather will let us make it. The owner fertilized it good last fall and it really shows.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
I'm a Senior
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »
Gene , congratulations on the seniority you have attained. I thought of you when I found this local ad. Seems to me you like those old Case tractors.
http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/case-400-_12322307
This one looks way too nice to go to the scrap yard even if it is not running.
Ralph in Sask.

I'm a Senior
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:06:31 AM »
Thanks on the congrats Ralph.

Yes, that looks like a nice tractor. If it were closer, I might make an offer. Friend had one like this without the loader. He said it was the perfect tractor for haymaking. Easy to get on and off and perfect speeds for baling. Always thought I would like to have a standard model of a 400, 700 or 730. Would be nice for the haying and pulling the grain drill. Would make a good companion for the 700 I have...

Gene

I'm a Senior
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
Well I finally got the hay baled yesterday. Didn't turn out all that bad. Got 319 bales on the wagons and threw out 12 bales from the baler that were too wet. Ground is still soft so left a few tracks, but not bad. No mold is evident in the good hay. It is good and dry, so will keep alright. Would be great for someone feeding young dairy heifers.

Gene

I'm a Senior
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
Good to hear the hay is finally up and taken care of, Gene.  Second cutting will be along in no time and you can start all over again.  Good that most of it was salvageable.  Now you can head out to a tractor show or two, "maybe".

Charlie V.

I'm a Senior
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »
Charlie;
 Just got home from where I baled the hay. Had a guy come and look at it and bought it all. He will haul it home this afternoon and I can get my wagons back.

Now the job is to get the combine raedy to run wheat. It is early this year and ripening fast. Looks like it will be ready first week in July. May have to cancel my camping trip to Minnesota for that week.

Gene

I'm a Senior
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »
That sounds like a good deal on selling the hay.  Nice not to have to even unload the wagons.  As a youth I spent my share of time in hay mowes at this time of year.  It may not be as hot as some place I could mention but it can be pretty hot up in the barns.  A body sure can change it's water in a pretty short time.  On my usual morning trip of Craig's list the following ad made me think of you:

"Excellent first cutting hay for sale off the wagon. Timothy alfalfa mix. Small square bales. Average 50# bales.Ready today. $2.00 a bale. "

There was another that offered hay on the ground for $ 1.50 / bale.  These seem like pretty soft prices but I guess there is surely no shortage around here this summer.  It may be a whole different story next February.  Nice for the grower not to have to put it up and store it for months anyway.  (More space in the barn for antique tractors.)  (grin).

Charlie V.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:17:27 AM by Charlie V »

I'm a Senior
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Congrats.
I've been very busy trying to put 40 acres of whinter wheat. Had to cut it with a rotary swather as it was 6' tall. A lot of the horse people around here want it in small bales and I'm having a hard time feeding a 4' high windrow into my Freeman bailer.
Dave E

I'm a Senior
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Dave;

You need one of the windrow rollers they use up in Ralph's part of the world. That would bring them down to size. My wheat is about 2.5 feet tall as I plant a semi dwarf variety. Never have to worry about lodging. Seems to be yielding about 65 Bushels.

I started cutting my wheat last Friday. Had a bearing in the bottom of the unloading auger go out and locked up the unloading auger. Been working on that ever since. Everything is rusted tight. Finally got everything apart including breaking the drive pulley. A severe laceration on my right little finger required a trip for stitching, to the emergengy room on Sunday morning. I was able to save the stub shaft that connects to the auger flighting. Got the new bearing through O'Reilly then a trip to Bryant, Indiana netted a good used pulley and a very good used auger section at Bryant Combine. Came home and rested a while than went out and put it all together again.

Had rain last night. About 2.25 inches. Will put a 2 or 3 day hold on the harvest. I would likely have been done barring the breakdown. Such is farming.

Gene