Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #750 on: August 02, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
Charlie, I know about self intertainment. Been doing that too long. I can laugh at myself, even when situation is not funny, at least to others.

Been watching the rain showers go by and only siphoning off what we can readily use. Got .75 inch last night. Keeping the soil nice and moist for the crops. All are looking good, but have to have the right window for haymaking. Amish have been busy this week threshing oats. Didn't know there were so many bundle wagons in the country.

Several years ago there was an effort to raise canola here in Ohio. Only lasted a couple years as the system never developed to maintain production and hot summer weather stressed the crop at pollination. Sure enjoyed the bright yellow blossoms when I flew over the fields.

Worked last 2 days helping Amish dismantle a large barn. My main job was using my chainsaw to trim the ends of the beams rough ends and rotten areas. Barn was built with hand hewn beams and peg and mortise joints. Barn was likely built about 1840 to 1850. All beams and lumber is going to central Montana and we loaded a flatbed semi yesterday and still have another full load to ship. Was a hot day and heat almost got the best of me, so had to take a cool down break.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #751 on: August 03, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »
Took a few pictures of my soybeans today. Looking real good, but then I `took pictures of the best ones at the edge... Gene[ATTACH=CONFIG]751[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]750[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]753[/ATTACH]

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #752 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
Gene,

Not an expert on soybeans but not sure I have ever seen any that tall.  Most around here seem about knee high and not much more.  Different variety?? or just the climate. ??

Another 3/8 inch of rain yesterday and last night but the sun is finally out this morning.  So far my body feels better than it has in over a week so wanting good weather to last.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #753 on: August 04, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
Charlie, don't know what happened to the pictures. I posted 5 but only 2 show up. The links are there and will open other photos.

The beans were planted on May 8 so got an early start. They are a full season variety for this area and in the 3.8 maturity range. Weather has also been very favorable for growth. Good yield possible, but price is sinking fast to just over $10.00 for September future. Just hope to get them off early and catch a higher price for early delivery.

My sweetcorn harvest is done. Pulled the last 3 dozen ears last night and gave half to my daughter and other half to my sister.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #754 on: August 04, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
Gene, I don't know much of anything about soybeans but those in your photos certainly look good. I heard some were trying to grow them in Sask. this year. I took a few shots here in the blooming flax field yesterday. It is looking good , at least if I don't look at the drowned out patches where weeds have taken over. 85 degrees here today and it feels hot. Not good for the later blooming canola. Mine is mostly finished.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #755 on: August 06, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
Ralph, I've never seen a blooming flax field in person... must be downright beautiful.  Thanks for another great photo.

And Gene, wow!  
[video=youtube;GB33z9xoSw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB33z9xoSw8[/video]

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #756 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
Love that Dean. Could have been written about my parents. We made a go of it on 140 acres of yellow clay. Had a few milk cows, some hogs, sheep and chickens, so always had something to fall back on.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #757 on: August 17, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
Yes, blooming flax looks pretty nice but can go downhill fast. I think those heavier patches will be fine but any lower spots that had water damage are strting to show a lot of weed growth. Flax is a poor competitor with weeds at the best of times. But, if the hail and frost don't get it, there will be a nice bit of flax there to sell I think
We have had some jungle heat weather earlier this week with humidity making it feel like 40c. (I try not to work too hard in those conditions or else work in a cool tractor cab). Thunder showers around today and raiining right now so we are doing ok moisture wise. Still a week away from canola swathing , more or less.
Picture from the antique car show last weekend. I was there as a spectator, not a participant unfortunately. Roads too muddy to drive mine to the show.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
Been a rainy day and night here at Portland, indiana. Some rain this morning and then a fairly dry afternoon. Rain begin again at 9:pm and looks like it will be around for a while. Grounds will be very muddy tomorrow. Lots of thunder and lightning.  

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #759 on: August 22, 2014, 07:08:56 AM »
Good morning, Gene.  Looks like more rain on the way today--going to be rather a wet show this year.  I'd hoped to come out tomorrow but am tied up with another commitment.   Thanks for being one of the movers and shakers, rain or shine!

Ralph, those are some beautiful old cars.  I'd still gravitate toward your old truck, though.  :)

Dean

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #760 on: August 24, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Welll it is no kind of weather for a show of any kind in Sask. this weekend. Inch and a quarter last time I checked and it has been raining all morning. Cold enough that the furnace cut in this morning. Crops are getting flattened by the wind and rain. I have heard some talk of frost next Tuesday so that will be the last straw for many I guess as most crops are still quite green.
It is a good day to work in the shop on another old veteran that has been on this farm longer than I have. Dad's 1939 Ford Deluxe sedan. Doing a quick and cheap clean up and paint job on it and I started pulling the masking off this morning. It is what I have heard called a "fifty foot paint job" on the atis mail list.
Ralph in Sask.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #761 on: August 31, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Well it came to pass. Here is the reason I have spent some long hours this past week or so getting the old 39 Ford back in half decent shape at least. My nephew's wedding yesterday. I don't think we were too serious about using the Ford as a backdrop until a couple of weeks before the day. Initially I was just going to drag it out of the shed, but one thing led to another and eventually a full (amateur) paint job. Although it was still a non runner and would have to be pushed out of the paint/work shop for the photos. Thanks to my brother (a real mechanic) and his patience and ability with the old Ford distributor we eventually got it to pull start. We had to borrow a six volt battery off the 730 Case tractor (antique tractor reference) for the Ford. Another day spent loosening up a couple of stuck exhaust valves and I was pretty impressed when it actually started itself and moved under it's own power with only one day to spare. I should add, the old Ford had not been started in about 25 years.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:14:12 PM by RG8800 »
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #762 on: September 01, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
Ralph, that's a great story and great set of photos.  Are those your parents in the older scene?

Dean

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #763 on: September 02, 2014, 02:55:21 AM »
Quote from: vinsond;2385
Ralph, that's a great story and great set of photos.  Are those your parents in the older scene?

Dean

Hi Dean. You are right, I left out that important detail. My parents in the 1952 photo.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #764 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
Ralph, thanks for the story and pictures from the wedding and the progress on painting the Ford and getting it running after all these years.

Trying to get caught up from being away for 17 days. Things have sure grown wild, including the weeds and grass. 3rd cutting hay needs cut, but the nuisance rains are making that difficult. Tried to cut some this afternoon, but still too wet. Kept slugging the rolls on the 479 haybine.

Local crops are looking very good. some corn is maturing and ears drooping on the stalks. Some soybeans are starting to show some leaves turning and will ripen soon. My soybeans are just starting to show some leaf color and look to be excellent development and promises to be a good yield. Will be disappointed if they don't make 60 bushels per acre.

Have had good soil moisture all summer and mild temperatures, so has been a good crop year. Only haymaking has been a challenge.

Tractor shows seem to be attracting the rains. Portland had almost 6 inches on Thursday of the show. Our local show at West Liberty had the tractor pull rained out last Sunday. Had just enough rain to muddy the track.

Gene