Hello Guest

First tractor YOU bought

• 22 Replies
First tractor YOU bought
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »
What is the first tractor that you bought, not counting ones obtained from family or relatives.

For me the first tractor I bought was a Fordson in running condition that had cutdown rims and converted to rubber tires.  That's the tractor that got me into the old iron hobby back in the 70's.

No longer have that Fordson, but do have around 9 of them although none in running condition at the moment.  Had a lot of other Fordson's pass through my ownership over the years.  Seems that they are the only old tractors that I can still afford :rolleyes:

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
John Deere Model 50 was my first. Don't think I have a picture of it anyway on my computer. Sold it in 1996 .

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:20:30 AM »
I bought my Case 700 diesel in spring of 1972 to farm 60 acres I had rented. I still have this tractor and it is still my main working tractor. I had little knowledge of Case tractors when I bought it, but it was such a good and reliable tractor that it has led to a nice collection of Case tractors.

Gene

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
At first I was going to post my 26 Faramll Regular, but then I remembered the Cub I bought when I was about 14 or 15. I bought it with intent to fix it up and re-sell it. It came off the farm next door to us. That farms owner left the farm to a non-profit organization when she died. I had to deal with the trust dept. of a bank in order to buy it. I got my sister to write a letter to submit my offer. It seemed to take a couple months for them to get around to accepting my offer---the selling of that tractor was pretty much small potatoes to them. Finally they made me a counter-offer which I took. The tractor hadn't been used in over 20 years so I had to take one of the 4020's and clear a path back to the garage it was kept under. Me and dad worked on it for a few months and then sold it. Pretty much it only needed a set of rings, painting, and one rear rim. With dad volunteering his labor, I made enough to pay my tuitition at tech school. Somewhere I have a couple photos of it, and I think I even saved all my bills--it would be intereting to see how much the parts have gone up in 25 years.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
I bought an Allis Chalmers B in the late 60's.  It was a crank start with hand brake levers.  The tractor had been overhauled and painted by a mechanic's institute somewhere in Vt. and had new tires all around. it had a lot of engine for it's size, but would quit when it was well warmed up.  I thought at the time it was vaper lock.  The only problem was that it was limited due to the lack of implements.  I eventually purchased the '52 8N Ford with Wagner loader that I still own.  I sold the AC B shortly after.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
I wasn't in a position (financially) to buy anything that big until 1976 when I went in half shares with my Dad on the 932 Case. Sure wish I had kept it but could not afford to as I needed the trade in value when I got the 2090 Case about 4 years later. Now that one I paid the whole price (over the space of a few years). Still miss that old 932 though.
Ralph in Sask.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
Ok, What is the difference in 931 and 932??  The cab??  Cause if mine had a cab, it sure would be close to your 932.

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:56:16 AM »
Will have to check my books Paul but its not the cab that makes mine a 932. That was an aftermarket "Cozy" that I put on. Just off the top of my head I think the 931 might have been the row crop model . Mine was the last year of production, 1969, 8 speed dual range transmission and the dry clutch.
Ralph in Sask.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
Quote from: pwaugh;968
Ok, What is the difference in 931 and 932??  The cab??  Cause if mine had a cab, it sure would be close to your 932.

Paul;
The 932 would have a fixed tread and usually smaller tires. These were common in cereal crop growing areas. Your 931 will have adjustable tread front and rear to match row width in the corn and row crop growing areas. Your 931 will have longer front spindles for more crop clearance and will set higher than Ralph's 932.
Many 932's were sold without 3 point hitch or PTO, while almost all 931's were equipped with 3 point and PTO.
Western style or standard models were typically priced lower so made them more attractive where crop clearance was not needed..

Gene

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »
Gene, you do know your Cases :))  Sound right to me, Talk about wish list, a Cozy cab would be a deam.
I have not been here long enough to figure out how to insert a picture, or I would of the 931 "project"

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »
Paul;
I haven't mastered the photos either. I have a site to post them to so I can download them, but haven't gotten any farther than that. Maybe some cold windy night I will take the time to do that.
On the tractor wish list would be a Case 732 like the one Ralph has. They are rare in row crop country. It would be a nice compliment to my Case 1959 701B.

Case sub numbering of basic models is very descriptive on the configuration.

Examples of a 930 would be 9, size, 3 indicates diesel and 4 is spark ignition and last number of 1 is adjustable row crop and 2 is standard non adjustable tread.
This number idetification started in 1953 with the 400 and 500 series. A 401 was a diesel row crop and gas was a 411.

Gets more complicated with the letters behind the numbers with "C" for torque converter, "H" for high speed transmission or "L' for low speed transmission. A "B" was added to the later 100  series to distinguish then from the earlier tractors with the same number. My military 530 is a 540"CH" for torque converter and high speed transmission.

By the way, Case-O-Matic is Case's name for the torque converter equipped tractors.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;970
Paul;
The 932 would have a fixed tread and usually smaller tires. These were common in cereal crop growing areas. Your 931 will have adjustable tread front and rear to match row width in the corn and row crop growing areas. Your 931 will have longer front spindles for more crop clearance and will set higher than Ralph's 932.
Many 932's were sold without 3 point hitch or PTO, while almost all 931's were equipped with 3 point and PTO.
                      Gene

Gene, thanks for clearing up the numbering system for me. I do recall now that the second digit
referred to the fuel, as in 742 was the gas engine. Mine was just a 732 with the standard dual
range drive.
But you say 932s had smaller rubber? Mine had the 10x16 rubber up front which was pretty big
back then. Most earlier 932s had the skinny 7.50x18 front tires. Mine also had the tubular front
axle unlike 99% if all the other older 930s I've seen. Pto was pretty much standard equipment
here but I have only seen one 932 with 3 point and that was a "GP" model that was rare here.j
It had the small rear fenders, reversed front axle too.
Pretty well every 930-932 I've ever seen here had 18.4x34 rear rubber although I did once see
an old round fender model with the 23.1x26 tires, sure looked different. They needed a little
more rubber on the ground although I got by with 18.4x34 singles. A neighbour dualed up his old
six speed 930 but I think he had rear axle breakages as a result.
I took this photo in fall of 76 when I brought the 930 home and parked it beside the old 730
before delivering it to the dealer where we had traded it. Shows the differences, between the
two. They sure set high and forward on the 930. Check out the massive wheel weights. A previous
owner had installed them off some old Massey I believe.
Ralph in Sask.

first tractor
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »
My  "FIRST" tractor purchased tractor was a 1950 JD D wheatland style. It was originally purchase new by my dad's cousin. Unfortunatly I had to sell it during one transfer. It went to a collector with a small JD collection somewhere in Eastern Oklahoma around the grand lake area.

First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
So they probably nver made a 942 :) 900 gas wheatland.

Looks like Ralph posts his pictures some where else also. I have picasio, so maybe that will work

RG8800

• View Profile
First tractor YOU bought
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
Quote from: pwaugh;975
So they probably nver made a 942 :) 900 gas wheatland.

Looks like Ralph posts his pictures some where else also. I have picasio, so maybe that will work

Paul, your photo just shows a red x for me. I know it can be pretty fussy when it comes to pasting the link for the photo. Yes, I use both webshots and fotki and most of the time they both work.
Yes, the 930 was available with a gas engine, probably pretty thirsty I'd guess. Also a propane version. The two versions were known as the "Special"(my 932) and the GP or General Purpose. This was the row crop version. I've been looking through the operator manual I saved from my 932. Also found some great photos in the 1967 Case sales brochure for the 930. I'll get some pictures posted from the pages later today. For now here is a shot of the 730 Case I was driving back in 74. Dual 18.4x30s?:D
Ralph in Sask.