Hello Guest

DC4 at auction

• 5 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
DC4 at auction
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
http://www.mackauctioncompany.com/10-apr17.html
What a collection of good old iron at this farm auction. Theres even a DC4 like mine. Same year anyway. But whats with the odd air cleaner intake? It has the hole in the hood for the intake same as mine but this one at the auction has an air intake outside the hood and further back. How about it Case experts?
Ralph in Sask.

DC4 at auction
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:00:41 AM »
Looks like someone was creative  replacing the original cast iron air cleaner and carburetor. Looks like it is a SC air cleaner. Probably easier to service and less oil leakage on the engine.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
DC4 at auction
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
I see that Gene. Probably broke the original cast air cleaner. I see this DC4 is just a little older than the one I have. Mine is number 5619314. Looks pretty much identical except for the headlights up front. Also the alternator conversion. Interesting to note the chains on the front axle. Makes me think it is about as hard starting as mine. Did you notice the number 56 chalk marked on the rear tire? What are the chances the auctioneer is going to sell it as a 56 model? Pretty good I would guess.
And here is the picture.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:49:35 PM by RG8800 »
Ralph in Sask.

DC4 at auction
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
Ralph
My guess was that the bottom section clamp bar was left loose and the bottom fell off somewhere out in the field, or else got tired of the oil leaking out. Maybe just got tired of the big pre cleaner blocking his view.
If you noticed there was no battery on the tractor and no cranlk. I thought the -4 used the same crank as the D? Mounted permanently like a LA?  My DC-4 has a loader and front mounted pump, so no crank. My DC-4 started hard till I found the broken impulse spring in the magneto. Now it starts with a touch of the starter.
Anyhow, I thought the chain should have been removed before the picture was taken.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
DC4 at auction
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:33 AM »
Gene, your right,I thnk every DC4 I've ever seen (including my own) has the crank permanently attached . I just used mine the other day to turn the engine over in hopes that valves will not stick in long periods of inactivity.
How do you know if the impulse spring is broken (other than taking it apart and looking)? Mine makes the clicking sound when its turned over so I assume everything is ok.
Ralph in Sask.

DC4 at auction
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »
My first clue that it was broken was that the timing kept retarding and would have to keep advancing the timing to get it to run. The engine would run hot and push coolant out the radiator cap. Once the timing was set and the tractor was running it would do fine. Each time it was started, the timing retarded again.
The impulse sring is so tightly wound that the internal friction is enough to run the mag, but the extra load from the impulsse was enough to make the spring slip enough to retard the timing.
The spring is relatively easy to replace as long as you don't let it unwind.

Gene