Hello Guest

Members List seems to be short

• 4 Replies
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »
The members list seems to only have 134 members, but the bottom of the discussion forums screen shows that we're now up to 340 members.

I've also looked on various days for the latest member and they are never in the Members List.

So it the Members List not automated?  I'm thinking it either is not automated or Spencer is busy with other projects and not keeping it updated.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »
At one time we were getting spammed/hijacked/ whatever you want to call it, by some inappropriate users/material. Maybe that has something to do with it.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
JOhn,

I've noticed that almost every day now when I check I notice a new latest new member at the bottom of the page.  However, they never seem to post anything and their usernames are somewhat odd and not typical of people in the hobby.  I assume they are just people messing around with the forum and not people with real interest in the hobby.

George

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
The spamming we endured a few months ago was because of a small security precaution that was turned off by an upgrade.  This allowed spammers to register as legitimate users very easily and in an automated fashion.  I applied the patch from the developers so it doesn't happen anymore.  The spammers can't know this about the boards they have been trying to attack without trying to register though.  Of course the hole isn't there and they can't spam the board or our personal messages but unfortunately the Spammers are not courteous enough to delete their accounts on the way out.  :)  So the crazy names and high account totals reflect the spammers registering and still hoping the email verification hole is still in place.  

Hope this explains things,

Spencer
-------------------------------------------------
More tractors than time.....

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what could they hope to gain/profit from something such as this forum?