Hello Guest

• 18 Replies
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »
Charlie,

Thanks for posting the picture.  It wasn't till you pointed it out that I could the right tire was on backwards.
It is pretty obvious once you know the tires are in fact directional.

Wondering if all tractor turf type tires are directional or if some of them are non-directional.

If I ever get some turf tires from my Farmall A mowing tractor, you can be sure I'll look them over closely before mounting them.

Thanks.

George

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »
During harvest here in Ohio in 1973 the ground was very soft. Was able to get over most of the fields, except in the low wet spots. Many farmers mounted the wheels backward to go as far into the wet areas as the tires would allow. With the tires reversed and better traction backward, they were always able to get out.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
I see what Charlie means now about the directional tread on that "turf" tire. I recall the old custom combiners used to put one combine tire on backwards to help them back out of a muddy spot while harvesting. Not sure just how much help it was.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
The truth of the matter is that it would not be a big job to remove the right tire from the rim and turn it around.  Everything is fairly new and not rusted, so it should come apart easily.  However, the tractor is merely a toy and will most likely never do any work so traction is not an issue.  If I can keep my mind from worrying the situation just because it is "not right", it will be fine just as it is.  For now, as long as the tire holds air and carries the tractor around, it is doing what I needed when I bought them.  I had no intention of putting on turf tires to begin with, but these turned up at a price I could not pass up, at a time the L was sitting with one rotted out flat tire and rim.  Opportunity knocked.

Charlie V.