Hello Guest

Pulling the dogwood stump

• 7 Replies
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
I mentioned this in a post on the email list... in a case of substantial overkill, I used the Super M last evening to pull the stump of a dead dogwood tree in my back yard.  My neighbor and his kids were on hand to watch, and he took this photo.  Kind of neat how the chain is caught in mid-bounce.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
http://www.vinsonfarm.net

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
Always neat to see an old tractor put to use.  I was hoping to see these honeysuckle stumps also :)
Paul

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
Hi Paul.  I didn't get any action shots of the honeysuckle stumps, but here's the pile of stumps after I knocked the dirt off them... :-)

Dean

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Dean,

If you look at the front of your SM, the ends of the grill may be slightly curled up.  That would be because the old machine is smiling at how easy the day's work was.  I am thinking that it was a lot more trouble for the pioneers to keep a team of oxen for doing that type of work.

Thanks for the photos.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
Looks good. INteresting how the chain looks "bent".
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »
Hi Charlie and Ralph.  Yes, a good day for the old tractor...although I suspect it (and I) would have enjoyed a few hours' worth of a little harder pulling.  One of these years.  And yes, that chain holds my attention every time I look at the photo.   I think the photo must have been taken at the very instant the stump hit the ground after being pulled free, so the part of the chain closer to the tractor hadn't yet had time to go slack.  I'm glad my neighbor happened to be there with his camera!

Dean

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
Kinda late to respond to Dean's post. Just wanted him to know I one-upped, or rather two-upped him today. Had one plum tree and one cherry tree at the edge of my lawn, both dying a slow death from salt poisoning from ice cream freezer salt water. Trees were both about 12 to 14 inches at the base. Hooked a long chain about 5 feet up on each one and pulled each one out with the Case 320 dozer. Pulled on the driveway and hardly spun a track. Got them all cleaned up and the brush hauled to the brush pile in the woods. Blocked the rest up for firewood. Won't have far to carry it in for the fire.

Sorry, no pictures of the task.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
A little more "woodwork " going on here in Sask. today too. Temp was about 0F so the ice we were walking on was strong enough to support us while cutting the water killed trees and carrying the logs out to the trailer. Its true that firewood warms you more ways than one.

Ralph in Sask.