Hello Guest

New toy(I think-hope)

• 63 Replies

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« on: May 09, 2008, 10:01:52 PM »
I have on the hook an Oliver 70 grader. I was told by somebody who knows somebody who has one for sale. The price is right and I said I'll take it but thats as far as we've gotten. I haven't reeled it in yet. Like I say "It aint mine till its mine"

I must have a soft spot for 70's as it seems they almost dominate my collection. Almost every shape, size and axle configuration. If there's one that looks a little different from what I already have, I'm prone to buy it.  I also have a soft spot for attachments. Whether it be pickers, planters, cultivators or as with the 70 grader, an attachments that will turn a common tractor into something entirely different.

So I guess you can tell I'm pretty excited to just hear there's one not far and for sale. Now I just hope here in the near future it'll be residing in my shed.

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:35:37 AM »
Don't just sit there, hook up the trailer and go get it!!!  I've seen a couple of these setups, The ones made out of a Farmall M and a Huber. The Huber had a belly mount blade as well as a small blade on the front.

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »
Well you know how it goes working through somebody. I do think its mine though. Here is a picture of one like it. Kinda neat. huh

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:52:37 AM »
Going to need a loooooong trailer to haul that! I wonder if loading without swinging the machine on the blade would be a problem?

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
Well its officially mine:D  The one I have is yeller and in about the same shape as the one pictured. One of the fenders is in need of repair, I guess it blew off going down the road. But the fender skin looks alright. The tractor frame was cracked and repaired. Again I believe I have enough parts 70's to find a frame to put on it.

It now sits 3 miles or so from the house. I should be gettin' it here next week. Then I'll take a few pics of it and pur 'em up.....Boy, I just can't wait to start dipping my greasy paws into this thing;):p

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »
Do you paint them after you fix them?
Like to see pictures of it when you get it home.
Dave
Dave E

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:52 PM »
yea, My plan is to go the whole nine yards on this one. Its rare or different enough to get the works. Whenever I start calling something rare usually a zillion others turn up.
      I'm a little baffled with the serial number or maybe I learned something. The Industrial 70's serial number starts with 4, the rowcrops start with 2. This one has 2 at the beginning of the number. I guess I learned that they numbered them by the style of tractor not by its purpose. If that makes any sense:confused: I am certain its the original engine and tractor.

I am also planning on dragging home my Oliver top soil elevator. Its a rather strange piece as well. They both will be the same color paint and so I'm going to try to restore them both at the same time....TRY i say

I'll definately post before, during and after pictures of both projects.  That would be pretty cool:cool: Maybe others will do the same with their projects

Danny

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »
I do not yet have the grader home (probably be this weekend) but I thought I'd comment on something else I learned with Oliver 70's. I had the chance to bring in one of my donor tractors to strip down..... Too the point here, usually when removing the engine I leave the bell housing in the frame. Pivot the engine up and it will slip right out and let the bellhousing stay in the frame. The reason is because I've broken too many frames trying to pull those stupid pins out.

This time I took the engine out the same way but decided to see if I could get the pins out and save the bellhousing. I of course removed the throw-out bearing and pilot shaft, threaded a bolt into the supid pin and started beating it in....the stupid thing popped right out and into the b'housing. All the time and frames I wasted trying to pull them out when I should have been beating them IN. As easy as that....who'dathunkit  :(:confused:

Hope this helps others

Danny
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:01:26 AM by Danny »

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »
I was able to pick up the Oliver Grader this afternoon. Here are a few pics of it and hopefully tomorrow I'll take some more after its unloaded. I'll use this thread to keep everybody updated on my progress with it.  I have my work cut out for me:eek:...but I love it:D

Danny

Danny

• View Profile
Oliver Grader
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »
I unloaded the Grader today and put it in the shop where it is now drip drying. Sorry the rain didn't allow me to take any pictures to post.

While in the shop I did a little more investigating on the machine and I'll post my findings.
-------------Its a 1948 Oliver 70    serial# 261128G  this would be the last year they made 70's (if memory serves me well)

The Grader attachment is made by Henke Manufacturing Co. out of Janesville, Iowa.  I found a website for them and they are still in business in Kansas building snow plows.

http://www.henkemfg.com/henke_history.html

The hydralics are by Hydreco out of Cleveland Ohio and they to are still in business. Based now in Charlotte, NC.

http://www.hydreco.com/index.htm

While studying the Grader I discovered on the right side frame rail "USA" was welded into it upside down. Then a few inches over towards the front, In a sort of fancy fashion "S  SIONI  77" was welded into it< right side up.  I figure S. Sioni is probably the fella who put it together and 77 was his employee number. Probably USA was welded into it while still on the ground.  It would be neat to know the whole story behind it.

I think I'm going to try and contact the 2 companies still in business and see if they have any info. on this machine or even info. on their company during that time and their "partnership" with Oliver.

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
Hah! Thanx Danny!, I finally made it! Geez they seem to hide this forum. Grader looks great, even has the drawbar on her yet.
Does it run? Overall, it looks pretty straight. One picture shows a double edge blade. Is that right?
I hope it all comes together for you.
Larry NE IL:)

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »
You know, a pretty paint job and then take it to a tractor pull to keep the track level would be a good way to go with this one. Might have more folks watching you than the tractor pull itself!:)

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
Quote from: Larry NE IL;242
Hah! Thanx Danny!, I finally made it! Geez they seem to hide this forum. Grader looks great, even has the drawbar on her yet.
Does it run? Overall, it looks pretty straight. One picture shows a double edge blade. Is that right?
I hope it all comes together for you.

No, not running yet. It is loose though. I was trying to plan my attack on it. I think maybe I'll first get it running, to see what the engine is going to need. Rings etc. The entire grader will need to be taken off though so I can replace the tractor frame The cylinders will need to be sent off because the pistons are rust pitted. I might as well send out the pump and control valve as well.  
    Yes it is double edge......I'm going to have to start taking steriods....dagone everything looks heavy and awkward on the dern thing.

:DGlad to see you made it Larry. There's a good bunch of guys hang out here

Danny

Danny

• View Profile
New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »
Quote from: John Hall;244
You know, a pretty paint job and then take it to a tractor pull to keep the track level would be a good way to go with this one. Might have more folks watching you than the tractor pull itself!:)

Its definatly neat and will hopefully be an eye catcher....I would like to have it at a tractor pull.....but I wonder if I could afford the price of fuel to run it very long:confused::eek::mad:

Danny

New toy(I think-hope)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »
Quote from: Danny;246
Its definatly neat and will hopefully be an eye catcher....I would like to have it at a tractor pull.....but I wonder if I could afford the price of fuel to run it very long:confused::eek::mad:

Danny

It can't burn that much fuel! It's like a recent discussuion I had with a fellow about his boat, if he can afford the boat, he can afford the fuel. If not he'll be affording a for sale sign!:rolleyes: We have already talked about limiting trips to our clubs show--but I'll save that discussion for another thread.