Hello Guest

What do you Collect

• 20 Replies
What do you Collect
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
What do you collect? I know we have collectors of Tractors and Stationary Engines. What else is of interest to you? I collect many different items and I can not explain why I collect some of these items.
Steam Whistles
Pedal Tractors
Jacks
Tools
Water Rams and Pumps
Honda Mini Trails
Hog Oilers
Gas Cans
Etc.

What do you Collect
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »
Besides the obvious engines and tractors.......

Cast iron toy tractors.  Mostly Fordson variations as I got into the old iron hobby because of a Fordson and most of the antique toy tractors that were made are Fordsons.

I also collect oilers for no apparent reason:o  Got several boxes of them in the shop.  Just can't seem to pass up buying an oiler if the price seems good at the time.

I also collect sparkplugs for no apparent reason:o Got a drawer full of odd sparkplugs and a few that I probably paid too much for.  Not sure why I collect them as I don't exhibit them or have a nice display for them.

My wife probably thinks I collect t-shirts as well.  I know a couple years ago we boxed up over 100 t-shirts I had that were tractor/engine/show related.  I used to buy the t-shirt for every show I attended, but have cut back on doing that as I already have too many.

Also got a drawer full of show buttons that I've kept for some unknown reason.

Of course we also have stamp and coin collections from years ago.  I don't consider myself a collector of either, just have what we collected before I got into the old iron hobby.

Guess I'm also a book collector as I've got a pretty good library of hobby related books.  This includes most of Wendels original books as well as books from the early 1900's.

I probably collect too many things. :o

What do you Collect
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Oil cans. For some reason when I see them at meets and swap meets they usually come home with me. I either have to quit collecting or build new shelf space.
Dave E

Collect
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
What a loaded question.  In a nutshell, I would say "JUNK".  I have enough hammers, hatchets, old wrenches etc. to start my own private flea market.  Why buy one piece for $ 3.00 if you can get the whole box of rust for $ 10.00.  I think it is an inherited piece of mental illness.  My Mom always said my dad would not part with anything because he had lived through the Great Depression and knew what it was to have nothing.  I did not have that experience, so do not have an excuse.   When the collections get to the point where one can no longer render proper care of the collection, the collection controls you.  For years I have said I will sell it all for retirement income.  Now I am retired.  I do not see much empty floor space yet but my intentions are good.  I am just looking for another round tuit.  

Charlie

What do you Collect
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
I have been a firm believer that a man with a torch and welders can not have enough steel around. I have cleared out many generations of dumping in my woods and out of 4 trailer loads of scrap metal hauled for recycling, a small portion went to my reserve steel supply. One corner of my shop has an overflowing wooden box where I put smaller pieces of steel for future projects. Very handy but the supply lately has gained on the demand.... Gene

What do you Collect
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
One of my Hog Oilers I finished this spring and wanted to share.

Hog Oiler
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
O.K. Merton....Where do I mount that on my Harley??
Just kidding.
 I know they prevent the swine flu..
Just kidding again.
They actually stop rusty pigs from squealing, right.
Still just kidding. ( GRIN )
It seems I cannot form a serious thought tonight.

How were these actually used?  I seriously do not know.

Charlie V.

What do you Collect
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
Chainsaws, preferably 2-man. When I started collecting stuff it was only the 1 or 2 old Briggs engines lying around the farm--and we had 2 two-man chainsaws. One had the engine pulled down about 30 years prior. Me and dad (mainly dad with me watching) found new engine parts and got it going. At the time there were very few others collecting saws and they could be bought cheap. Also when you fire one up at a show you draw quite a crowd.  At last count we have over 50 and have probably have had 1/2 of them running.

What do you Collect
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;648
O.K. Merton....Where do I mount that on my Harley??
Just kidding.
 I know they prevent the swine flu..
Just kidding again.
They actually stop rusty pigs from squealing, right.
Still just kidding. ( GRIN )
It seems I cannot form a serious thought tonight.

How were these actually used?  I seriously do not know.

Charlie V.

Thanks for the laughs Charlie. You think I would have a set definition of how they were used by now.The oilers were used on hogs to control and prevent insects on the skin of hogs. The farmer would add oil or other mixture to the holding tank of the oiler and the hog would rub against the oiler and the oil would come from the tank and run down the vertical panels of the pictured oiler and make contact with the hog's skin.
When I display at shows nobody knows what they are. They always start a discussion and draw a small crowd. I like them for their low upkeep and the questions they start.

Oilers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »
That all makes good sense to me, Merton.  I still like the Harley idea, but one can not win them all.  It is a nice job you did on the restoration.  It looks brand new.  Interesting item to collect since many of us have never seen one, as you point out.  

Somewhere I have a picture from a show of a hammer collection that filled a table probably twenty feet long.  The owner had been collecting them for years.  I will post a picture when I have a little time to look it up.

Charlie V.

See page 2 for update!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:47:13 PM by Charlie V »

Oilers/ now wrenches
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
I guess my mind lied to both of us, Merton.  As it turns out the collection mentioned in the last reply was not hammers, but old fashioned monkey wrenches.  Check my  Other Stuff album for a couple of pictures.  I have a few of these, but these gentlemen are really into it.

Charlie V.

What do you Collect
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »
Charlie V  - Strange of you to bring up the subject of Hammers. I have been collecting hammers for years too! I have never taken time to place all my hammers on display to photograph. Maybe that is something that needs to happen.
Second thing I do not collect "Monkey Wrenches" but I 've got a good start on "Adjustable Wrenches" that will be of some size soon.

What do you Collect
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
I guess I collect everything, but the stuff I have the most of is Mickey Mouse collectables, old and new, basically anything with Mickey on it.  I try to get to Disney World at least once every two years, it actually costs me more than this darn tractor hobby.

Anybody know where I can get a hog oiler?

What do you Collect
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »
My local club had it show last weekend and here's some pictures of some of my collection.

What do you Collect
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 08:58:58 AM »
Here's another shot from our local show with my display of Honda Mini Trails. They're vintage now too. The oldest one is over 40 years. Also they're red too.