Hello Guest

Lack of Posting

• 30 Replies
Lack of Posting
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
Thanks for the pics Charlie. I especially like the one with the original Case L parked to the restored 300. Reminds me of when I took my LA and D and showed them side by side. The LA was restored and the poor little brother, D, had probably never seen the inside of a barn. Always told people it was affluent big brother and neglected little brother. Not too surprisingly, the D got as much attention as the LA.. Gene

Lack of Posting
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
Thanks Charlie V - Great Pictures!

Lack of Posting
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »
I uploaded a few more this afternoon, Merton.  I am finished with loading that album now.  Nothing special in the new ones, but you may want to check back for a peek.  Hope you are not having any problem keeping warm.

Charlie V.

Lack of Posting
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;731
Thanks for the pics Charlie. I especially like the one with the original Case L parked to the restored 300. Reminds me of when I took my LA and D and showed them side by side. The LA was restored and the poor little brother, D, had probably never seen the inside of a barn. Always told people it was affluent big brother and neglected little brother. Not too surprisingly, the D got as much attention as the LA.. Gene

Strange how old has a charm of its own, Gene.  I see some of the clear coat restorations at shows that would be just perfect in a car dealer show room or a 4th of July parade.  Somehow they never seem to fit right in at a tractor show. Everybody has their own preference and I guess that is O.K.
Have a good time at Portland.

Charlie

Lack of Posting
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
I don't do a perfect restoration on my tractors, but they look nice for a while. The LA has a lot of belt scuff marks from running sawmills and threshing machines and still has mud behind the tires from pulling trailers out of the mud at Portland. The VC hardly had the paint dry when I hooked it to the hay rake to rake hay and scuff up the drawbar. Gonna do that again on Thursday for the third cutting... Gene

Lack of Posting
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »
I would rather bring an un-restored tractor to the show, they do seem to get more attention, especially if they have several "farmer" modifications to them.  I have the most fun bringing an old relic that runs better than most of the "restored" tractors.  I once bought a tractor from someone who told me "it's not an old tractor unless it has some grease/dirt on it"

Lack of Posting
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;746
I don't do a perfect restoration on my tractors, but they look nice for a while. The LA has a lot of belt scuff marks from running sawmills and threshing machines and still has mud behind the tires from pulling trailers out of the mud at Portland. The VC hardly had the paint dry when I hooked it to the hay rake to rake hay and scuff up the drawbar. Gonna do that again on Thursday for the third cutting... Gene

To me, one of the best sights at a show is a nicely restored (but not overdone) tractor that has some scuff marks on the belt pulley and the drawbar.

RG8800

• View Profile
Lack of Posting
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
Ok, I guess I have been guilty lately of not checking on this forum, but only due to the fact that I got tired of coming here so often and finding no new posts.
And its true that a lack of response to posts, subjects and photos does not inspire a person to keep on with it. I have to admit that there is another forum that I frequent daily and have over 2500 posts to date simply because there is so much going on there. More members probably makes a difference too.
Charlie, looks like you have a good wood sawing outfit there. With a little work you can be making sawdust. I don't have the picture saved but this ad for a Cockshutt 40 with front mounted wood saw caught my eye last week. Less than a 2 hour drive away for me.
http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Cockshutt-40-tractor-W0QQAdIdZ147203187
Ralph in Sask.

Lack of Posting
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:26 AM »
Quote from: RG8800;753
Ok, I guess I have been guilty lately of not checking on this forum, but only due to the fact that I got tired of coming here so often and finding no new posts.
And its true that a lack of response to posts, subjects and photos does not inspire a person to keep on with it. I have to admit that there is another forum that I frequent daily and have over 2500 posts to date simply because there is so much going on there. More members probably makes a difference too.
Charlie, looks like you have a good wood sawing outfit there. With a little work you can be making sawdust. I don't have the picture saved but this ad for a Cockshutt 40 with front mounted wood saw caught my eye last week. Less than a 2 hour drive away for me.
http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Cockshutt-40-tractor-W0QQAdIdZ147203187

Good to see you around, Ralph.  That old Cockshutt looks pretty unloved and you could give it a good home.

RE the buzz saw unit:  I will be loading the power unit in my Brothers truck tomorrow morning, where it will stay until it arrives in Arizona later this month.  I guess I will put the saw on Craig's list for whatever I can get, as I have no real use for it.  I will probably cut the trailer frame up for the metal or scrap it out.  I do have a free standing buzz saw that my father bought new from Sears when I was a young kid and also a 3 point hitch mounted one.  Both are working units which I no longer use.  I did cut a little wood on both of those just for nostalgia, but I only burn in the garage, so my wood consumption these days is nil. Both of those could go to a new home also.  Buzzing wood is fun if you do not have to do it, but I have enough just trying to keep up with the necessary these days.  The ringing song of a buzz saw blade cutting through a log is something you do not hear in neighborhoods these days.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Lack of Posting
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;756
Buzzing wood is fun if you do not have to do it, but I have enough just trying to keep up with the necessary these days.  The ringing song of a buzz saw blade cutting through a log is something you do not hear in neighborhoods these days.

Charlie V.

Charlie, its not too many years since I have heard the sound of the wood saw against the background beat of a John Deere AR two cylinder engine. Took this pic at my Uncles back about 9 years ago. Those days are over now.
That pile in the picture was more than a day's work for 3 of us. :)
Ralph in Sask.

Lack of Posting
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »
Quote from: RG8800;758
Charlie, its not too many years since I have heard the sound of the wood saw against the background beat of a John Deere AR two cylinder engine. Took this pic at my Uncles back about 9 years ago. Those days are over now.
That pile in the picture was more than a day's work for 3 of us. :)

Nice picture Ralph.  I am sure the AR just loafed along when belted to that saw.  When I was a kid, we always used the only tractor we had with a belt pulley, the Farmall regular.  That tractor never worked very hard on a buzz saw either.  Whenever you heard a saw on our end of town, it was either ours, or Mr. Gallo down the street.  Mr. Gallo had a JD model H and later a JD B. to use on his saw.

Charlie

Lack of Posting
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
That's small wood to use for heating. What type of heater do you use? I am in the south and we like larger firewood so we do not have feed the heater often. Thanks Merton

RG8800

• View Profile
Lack of Posting
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
Quote from: Merton;760
That's small wood to use for heating. What type of heater do you use? I am in the south and we like larger firewood so we do not have feed the heater often. Thanks Merton

Merton, you are right that the big wood lasts longer in the stove but I guess when a guy gets up into his sixties and seventies, its easier to handle the small trees and wood. That particular wood pile was destined for the old kitchen stove that my Uncles used every day of their lives to cook meals and heat the home. (Even in the summer).
Ralph in Sask.

Firewood
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
I have not burned wood for heat in my adult life except for a few years in a rented house.  I pretty much had enough of wood burning during my childhood.  The fuel oil bill was so high in the drafty rented house that I installed a small pot bellied coal stove (all I could get my hands on at the time).  I burned wood in that stove during the hours we were there and awake.  It did cut the fuel oil bill by $600.00 per month (1/2).  My preferred wood was white ash, with trunk diameter not over 5 inches.  That wood was very available to me on the farm, and did not require any splitting.  The white ash would grow so thick that many would die off as a natural thinning process at about 20-25 feet tall and having 3-5 inch trunk size. These trees would be standing dead, so required no drying time to burn. I can see your uncles motive, Ralph.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
firewood
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
Mostly all poplar (trembling aspen) here Charlie and it can grow into some big timber given enough time. My brother likes to get those big poplar logs, especially since he built a hydraulic wood splitter last year. Its ok as long as theres lots of help to haul the logs in from the field. We grow acres of it here so don't have to go far to find firewood.
Heres how my Dad hauled his firewood back about 1950.
Ralph in Sask.