Hello Guest

Tasks Around Home with old iron

• 16 Replies
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
I have posted an album of some wood cutting done last fall.  Take a look if you wish.  We all have many home work and yard work tasks.  I would be interested to see what other members do and how you do it.  Which of your old or new tractors get utilized in these projects?  

Charlie V.

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
Here is a wood splitter I built over 25 years ago. PTO driven off a Ford 8N. The poor old 8N has become a stationary unit as the left rear wheel rim has corroded through due to the calcium filler. It is used quite often by my renter for his wood stove.
Dave E

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
Most of the mowing around my place is done with a 40's Farmall A.

I've used various old tractors (English Fordson, Farmall A, Field Marshall) to power a buzz saw by flat belt.  I've cut a fair amount of firewood using the buzz saw.

Done plowing and disking at my place with these tractors, Rumely Oilpull 25-45R, Oliver 99, Case 900.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
Old tractors are all I have. The Case 700 diesel does all the field work ald most of the hay making. The Case 430 rakes the hay and pulls the wagons and sprays the fields, also uses the 3 point blade. The 1940 Case V mostly pulls the metal dump trailer hauling firewood. The Case DC-4 and VAI have a loader, but not used much since I got the skid loder. The LA, S and VAIW are mainly used at tractor shows, with the LA powering sawmills and threshing machines.
Case 320 bulldozer gets used a lot cleaning fence rows and woods, plus a few off farm jobs for neighbors. Case 644 mini loader gets moving dirt and heavy items to heavy to move by hand.
Today the Case 222 with snowblower has been busy trying to clear our 10 inches of snow. Losing proposition with the wind drifting the snow... Gene

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
Gene,

Is it safe to guess that you're a Case collector?:rolleyes:

I suppose your skid steer is also a Case.  I've got a Bobcat 763 which I use a lot around my place.  One of the handiest pieces of equipment I have.

George

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »
Yes, you would call me a Case collector. I have 13 of them plus 3 of the little ones. Also have an IH 660 diesel. Needed a little red paint in the barn. Do my mowing with a John Deere 240 and a Gravely Promaster 300
No, the skid steer is a Mustang 940 with yanmar diesel. Pretty tough mid size loader.... Gene

Ford and Splitter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »
Your splitter looks like it does not want for power, Dave.  I am guessing it will take care of anything that gets in front of it.  The rims on your Ford are original as near as I can see in the pictures.  They have lasted pretty well.  I had to replace the originals on my '52 Ford in the early 1970's.  As usually happens, the calcium got to them.

Charlie V.

Case Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
I do not know a whole lot about case tractors, Gene.  They look like a sturdy machine.  I have a '37 CC3 buried away in my garage.  It had a piston set up and the head was off when I got it, and it is still that way.  I did get the pistons out. The sleeves look  good.  It appears that anti freeze coolant seeped past the sleeve seal on the back cylinder and that is what set it up. It will need Rings, sleeve seals, and maybe the rod bearings need some help.  The rest of the tractor is straight with a trace of original paint and decals showing.  I do hope to get it off the back burner eventually.

Charlie V.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;499
Your splitter looks like it does not want for power, Dave.  I am guessing it will take care of anything that gets in front of it.  The rims on your Ford are original as near as I can see in the pictures.  They have lasted pretty well.  I had to replace the originals on my '52 Ford in the early 1970's.  As usually happens, the calcium got to them.

Charlie V.

The major problem with it is the transmission case is cracked. This was typical with them when a front loader was installed. With no frame obviously the weakest portion gave way...not to say I never abused it in any way..
Dave E

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Back in the mid '80s we modified a horse drawn riding cultivator to be pulled with a tractor. We coupled it to dads McCormick 10-20 (on steel) and plowed quite a bit of garden. The lugs did a pretty good job of breaking up the middles for the cultivator.

Cracked transmission housing
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
I have not seen that happen, Dave, but I do not doubt what you say.  I did look at an 8N in the last century with a freshly replaced out pan.  The strain form the front loader had broken off the front engine mounts.  When I bought mine, it was equipped with solid steel drums from a pan for rear wheel weights.  I eventually took them off and left them off.  It seemed better to have a wheel spin before something else gave up.  For a number of years, the loader on the Ford was the only hydraulic I had, so it did everything from bull dose to load the truck.  Pretty handy.

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
Hi Guys
Been off this forum for so long and its nice to see some activity going on now. Thought I'd try posting a pic of my snowblowing equipment. The old reliable Cockshutt 40 and McKee 6 foot snowblower. This pic is about ten years old. The tractor now has the red hood installed.
Ralph in Sask.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
Good to see you back posting Ralph!

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:59:15 PM »
I Grade my Driveway with a 1948 Farmall Cub with IH 42 Mid-mount Grader Blade. Merton of Eastern North Carolina

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Merton, welcome to the group!!

I had one of those belly blades mounted to a Farmall A and also used it for my driveway.  It worked pretty good.

Unfortunately, I've had a Woods belly mower on that tractor for many years now and it is too much work to switch back and forth between having a mower or blade.  So that belly blade doesn't get used anymore.

I've thought about getting an angle blade for my Bobcat to maintain the driveway, but haven't had the extra money to buy one.  I've also thought of getting a 3pt rear blade for my Ford 4000, but haven't done that either.