Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #870 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »
Happy birthday, Gene.  You caught up with me again for a short while.

We got down to one above during the night but climbed to 24 at today's peak.  Spent an hour or two cleaning up very little snow.  Not really needed but a nice day to be out in the air with sun at first, then overcast but almost zero wind.  

Charlie

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #871 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
Hi Warren. Glad you found your way to the "new" forum. Only a few of us are regular participants but we always seem to find something to discuss even if its only the weather. I have had so much trouble at the old ATIS list to get my replies and posts to show up that often I don't even bother trying as I never know if my comment didn't make it to the list or if I'm just being ignored.
Gene, hope it was a happy birthday for you and you have many more. Sounds like you are prepared for some stormy weather. Nothing but cold forecast for us with talk of -40C wind chill factor tonight. Thankfully there is hardly any wind and I don't have to be out in it.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #872 on: February 01, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
Hi Warren.  Glad to see your post. You have an interesting fleet there.

Ralph, I have the same problem with not being able to see any post I make to the list.  One time I asked if they were there and other members assured me "yes" they are. I do not have reason to post often but when I do I mostly never see a reply unless it is from you or Gene.  There may be other reasons for that but     -  ho hum.  I do get the receipt message from ATIS so I have to assume the posts do show up there.  This has been the situation for several years since my Hotmail to the list had a total breakdown so I switched it to G mail and got back on. I have checked every setting I can find so if there is a fix, it is well hidden.  As I am an infrequent poster there the no show is not a major deal to me.

Not a friendly day out there today.  The temp. is still at +21 but the wind is steady NE it seems with light, fine, wetting snow.  The forecasters think we are on a downhill silde here and guess i agree.

Charlie V.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #873 on: February 01, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
Back to winter.  Cold, snowing, blowing, drifting.  But with mud underneath.

Ron

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #874 on: February 01, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]776[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]777[/ATTACH],[ATTACH=CONFIG]778[/ATTACH]..Western Ohio had a little snow overnight. Maybe 2 inches of heavy wet snow. Forecasters had winter storm warning out for the area, but so far has missed us. Temperature is 37 degrees, so a lot of it will melt.

Cleared the sidewalk and paths to the barn, then Got the Case 700 with the grader and cleared all around the shop and barn. Wanted to get it cleared before it freezes and turns into ice.

Glad to see Warren back on the forum. Gets lonely at times here. Just post what's on your mind, just like a morning coffee gathering. Seems many just want to stay on the email list so they don't want to go to the effort and just want it to come to them. Posting pictures and videos is easy here and keeps the forum interesting and fun.

Wanted to upload the pics from my laptop, but haven't figured that out yet so editing from my PC. Pictures are of the driveway maintainer that I also use to clear snow. Works better in heavy wet snow like we have today.

Gene
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:42:12 PM by Gene Dotson »

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #875 on: February 01, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]779[/ATTACH]
Just trying to upload a photo.

Ron

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #876 on: February 01, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
I'll be darned.  I did it.

Ron

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #877 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
Good for you. Charlie V tutored me. Still have a long way to match Ralph.

34 degrees and light rain here. Most of the new snow has melted. Looks like more coming when it gets colder.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
Ron you have the picture posting figured out but you didn't say what the photo was.
Charlie we were at 21 degrees here this morning too but on the wrong side of zero. Certainly no problems with mud at that temp.
Gene, that grader of yours looks a bit like an old car or truck frame or is it my imagination? I need to make something like that for my driveway and yard. Got a couple of lengths of railway track I had plans of making into something but haven't got it done yet.
This photo is from a couple of weeks ago when I had the Cockshutt 50 out for it's regular exercise running the hammer mill to put a load of oats through.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #879 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »
Ralph, that is the original Freedom Rock just a ways North of Greenfield,Iowa.  That rock was the object of much graffiti painted on it over the years.  Some of which was not very nice.  An artist in Greenfield started painting patriotic scenes on it to stop the graffiti.  It worked.  He changes it every year.  The thing gets many visitors and it really is something.  Several locations here in Western Iowa have come up with a huge rock for him to paint.  Usually set up by the local VFW or American Legion Post.  I don't remember what year that photo was taken.  I go by there usually once a year.  It was just the first photo I came to in my computer to try to post.  It is the side of the rock.  There was an automobile parked in the way to photograph the front that faces the road.

We got 8 inches of snow on mud.  Drizzle turned to light rain turned to snow with wind.  They say 7 below for morning temps and I don't have much warm wood left in the house for the morning fire.  I guess I will be going out to the wood shed for more wood early tomorrow.  Propane will have to do the job until I get more wood in.  I had intended to get wood in before the storm, but I was laying under my good pickup replacing the starter in the drizzle and rain.  That was no fun at all.  I don't remember it being fun when I was a youngster and at 71 it danged sure was not.  I did get it done and got the truck home and in the shed.

Ron

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #880 on: February 04, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »
Quote from: Ron Cook;2503

We got 8 inches of snow on mud.  Drizzle turned to light rain turned to snow with wind.  They say 7 below for morning temps and I don't have much warm wood left in the house for the morning fire.  I guess I will be going out to the wood shed for more wood early tomorrow.  Propane will have to do the job until I get more wood in.  I had intended to get wood in before the storm, but I was laying under my good pickup replacing the starter in the drizzle and rain.  That was no fun at all.  I don't remember it being fun when I was a youngster and at 71 it danged sure was not.  I did get it done and got the truck home and in the shed.

Ron

Ron, if I'm still alive and under a truck at the age of 71 it will probably mean I have been run over :-) I guess time will tell but I sure don't enjoy laying under machinery working on stuff like I used to. Probably not a good thing for arthritis either.
Turned miserable here today with -25 F this morning when I had to get the Massey out to feed hay. At least there was not much wind but it sure stung the face. By afternoon we were up to 0 but the southwest wind got so strong it was blowing snow and drifting some. Not much of an improvement.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #881 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
Ralph, you should have never mentioned the warm weather last week. Someone bad heard you and bringing the frigid air back.

We had a few decent days here this past week. Not a lot of snow. before this evening we only had piles, ice and drifts on the ground. Mid afternoon today we started getting a light wet snow mixed with a little sleet. Got a couple inches of that mixture on the ground. Ground still frozen pretty deep so any snow will likely be here a few days. Had a high of 37 degrees about noon and temp has been falling, looks like maybe zero tonight and high of 15 for tomorrow with 20 to 25 MPH winds.

Been trying to set up a computer I bought last spring. Worked all day Sunday and again Tuesday. Can't get the thing to behave right. Won't let me run browsers and can't down load new browsers without a running browser. Kind of a catch 22 situation. Had my 2 email programs up and working and felt good about that, but nothing else works. So back to my old PC. Been doing most of my browsing on the laptop.

The grader I pictured was one I welded up from 4 inch and 5 inch channel iron and some odd angle iron. It does a real good for leveling gravel and dirt and will move quite a bit of snow. Works best in wet snow. Most of the clearing is done pulling it forward with the v angle in front leaving a pretty clean path. The 700 has down pressure so helps keep it on the ground. I also made a scarifier to work up the driveway, but it is getting in bad shape and I plan to re-engineer and rework it.

Do you suppose Charlie is snowed in and Ron stuck in the mud?

With this post I am only 1 behind you.

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #882 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;2505
Ralph, you should have never mentioned the warm weather last week. Someone bad heard you and bringing the frigid air back.

We had a few decent days here this past week. Not a lot of snow. before this evening we only had piles, ice and drifts on the ground. Mid afternoon today we started getting a light wet snow mixed with a little sleet. Got a couple inches of that mixture on the ground. Ground still frozen pretty deep so any snow will likely be here a few days. Had a high of 37 degrees about noon and temp has been falling, looks like maybe zero tonight and high of 15 for tomorrow with 20 to 25 MPH winds.

Been trying to set up a computer I bought last spring. Worked all day Sunday and again Tuesday. Can't get the thing to behave right. Won't let me run browsers and can't down load new browsers without a running browser. Kind of a catch 22 situation. Had my 2 email programs up and working and felt good about that, but nothing else works. So back to my old PC. Been doing most of my browsing on the laptop.

The grader I pictured was one I welded up from 4 inch and 5 inch channel iron and some odd angle iron. It does a real good for leveling gravel and dirt and will move quite a bit of snow. Works best in wet snow. Most of the clearing is done pulling it forward with the v angle in front leaving a pretty clean path. The 700 has down pressure so helps keep it on the ground. I also made a scarifier to work up the driveway, but it is getting in bad shape and I plan to re-engineer and rework it.

Do you suppose Charlie is snowed in and Ron stuck in the mud?

With this post I am only 1 behind you.

Gene

You are right Gene. I should have just kept quiet about the nice weather. You need some old grader blades to attach to the cutting side of your land leveller. We used to get them cheap here as they changed the cutting edges on the municipal graders.
How about if somebody e mailed you a link to the google chrome browser for you to download to your spare computer? I use google chrome as my default web browser as it supposed to be safer than internet explorer.
https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html?&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-ca-bk&utm_medium=ha
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #883 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »
No mud here now, Gene.  I am relieving some of the cold pressure from Ralph.  It is currently 5 below.

Ron

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]781[/ATTACH]

Another winter picture with a little better contrast. 1 degree and light northwest wind and not a cloud in the sky. About 2 inches of new snow from last night, with a thin layer of ice under it. May get to 16 degrees this afternoon. Ralph is the warm spot this morning at 12 degrees. Maybe he will share with the rest of us?

Gene