Hello Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
'round the pot-bellied stove / Western Ohio Update
« Last post by RG8800 on January 11, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
-34F in Sask. this morning. Clear and sunny. Hope the wind stays down. I'll need to plug in the block heater on the Massey to put a couple of hay bales out later this afternoon.
« Last post by RG8800 on January 04, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
Quote from: Gene Dotson;2822
Ralph, can you operate the drone from the cab of the 2090? likely the metal will block the signal?

I think so Gene but won't know for sure til I try. The drone has a "follow me" mode in which it is supposed to follow along when I'm driving a vehicle so I'm hoping to try it out. Should make some interesting videos. I took a short flight yesterday in -12F temps. Nice views but my fingers were starting to freeze up by the time I quit.
« Last post by Gene Dotson on January 03, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Ralph, can you operate the drone from the cab of the 2090? likely the metal will block the signal?

Have had a few warm days for January. Right now is 48 degrees, but will be turning colder for tomorrow. Been raining most of the night, so kinda wet this morning. Snow forecast starting tomorrow till weekend. Temp down to near zero by the weekend. Water in the lanes will turn to ice again, Think I will stock up on groceries today.

Been having a bout with bronchitis for the past week and makes for hard breathing outside. Getting better and was able to spend some time out yesterday at the wood pine and in the new shop. My furnace quit working over a week ago. Finally found the problem on Sunday and got it working again. Was just a bad wire connection from the thermostat. A 5 minute fix if I had know at first what to check.

Wood pile going down faster than I had expected, so will be using the furnace more. New stove seems to use more wood than the old one.Hope all are having a good start to 2017.

Gene
« Last post by RG8800 on January 02, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
Happy New Year guys and hoping to put up a few more drone videos. Gets a little cold on the fingers this time of year plus battery life is shorter than normal. Its pretty much the wild West out here as I can fly where I like. Nearest airport is over an hour away and the nearest neighbour a mile. I haven't dared go beyond beginner mode yet so altitude is limited to 90 feet. But one of these days I'll risk it.
« Last post by Charlie V on January 01, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Hi Gene and Ralph.  Great to see that you men are still cranking along. With  Jan. 1, 2017  being nearly worn away it must be time to wish a Happy new year.  May the key ingredients for this year be Health, Wealth, and Happiness, old tractors and good crops.  

Nice job with the drone video, Ralph.  I will look forward to more.  Not a lot to talk about going on here si I guess it is time to park this, do a few chores and get some sleep.

Again, New  Years Wishes.

Charlie
« Last post by Gene Dotson on December 30, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Nice video from the drone. Would be limited flying a drone. Am only 4 miles from the Bellefontaine airport and FAA prohibits flying drones less than 5 mile from any airport.

Gene
« Last post by RG8800 on December 29, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Hi Gene
Good to see someone else here for a change. I was beginning to wonder what happened to the  list. You did better than me if you finished harvest. I still have about 100 acres of flax that will stand through the winter. It just got to the point  I was getting nowhere  and nearly burning the combine  down with straw wrapping on the beater. Hoping for better in the spring.
Winter has been easy so far with only a little snow. That week of below normal temps was  not  so nice but we are back above normal this week.
I have been doing  a little flying without actually getting my feet off the ground lately. I put some video together  from a few flights showing my yard and my brother's.
[video=youtube;oWOkK0Wv53Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWOkK0Wv53Q[/video]
« Last post by Gene Dotson on December 26, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and Boxer Day in Ralph's part of the world.

Had a nice Christmas at daughter Lori's new residence in West Liberty. Lots of room for the family get-together. Got some nice clothes and a LED work light.

Hospital clinic visits have shown some promising improvements. Endoscopy and colonoscopy results are looking good and don't have to go back till March.

Harvest this fall was disappointing. Soybeans only yielded about 27 bushels per acre. The new combine was problematic with cutter bar issues due to poorly installed aftermarket floating cutter bar. Finally got it working after a couple delays and major redesigning of the installation. High point was that I had contracted for delivery and managed to hit the high market price. Came up short on delivery, but the contract price paid $.66 cents a bushel, so was not a financial loss. Harvest weather was favorable with dry conditions' but the dry summer delayed the ripening of the straw so had to wait for the stalks to dry, even though the pods were ripe and dry. Fall chisel plowing went well so that is done for spring.

Had so much trouble with my old John Deere grain drill that I upgraded to a 5100 IH drill and expect it to do a more consistent job of seeding.

Only had about a week of winter weather with a low of 3 degrees  and only 1 inch of snow and a spell of freezing rain that took a week to melt off. This weekend has been warm and is 48 degrees tonight.

New wood stove has been doing a good job of heating the house, but seems to use more wood than the old one.

Hope everyone has a happy New Year.

Gene
« Last post by RG8800 on October 03, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2815

I see by my phone today that Ralph is swathing a pretty good crop of oats, even though some is laying flat. Keep it going, Ralph.  We were down to 38 F last night.  Winter may not be as far away as we think.

I just now found Gene's morning post.  Great looking combine.  Looks new.

For Dean:  Watch those cats.  Not exactly sure but I think I am feeding 20 now.  They sure are good at math.  Multiply like HE double toothpicks.

Charlie

Hi Charlie
I could use a few female cats here. All I have are three tomcats.
Harvesting going in stops and starts due to rain. Worked til 3:00 am one morning and would have kept on but rain stopped me. I'm down to the last field of flax with a rainy week forecast.
Here is another chapter in the yet to be concluded harvest 2016 series. I hope it ends before winter starts.
[video=youtube;tVrepCilKiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrepCilKiM&feature=youtu.be[/video]
« Last post by Charlie V on September 25, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
Here I am!!  Just like the proverbial bad penny I keep turning up.  Not a whole lot of outside stuff for me.  Replaced left hip and same leg have been acting up pretty bad and keeping my flying low.  It was a difficult chore just to grocery shop a couple of days ago.  I have been walking with the aid of two canes for a few days. Only good news is that I increased one medication today and my walking is a little better.

I see by my phone today that Ralph is swathing a pretty good crop of oats, even though some is laying flat. Keep it going, Ralph.  We were down to 38 F last night.  Winter may not be as far away as we think.

I have been watching an Allis Chalmers 7040 about 10 miles from here on Craigs list for a month or so. The seller has dropped it to $ 2600 now which is not even good lawn mower money.  Darn, I wish I had any kind of use for that one. If it had a FE loader, it would be mine provided it checked out OK. I would expect a loader to jump the cost a bit.  Considering where it is, I think I may have known the original owner of that tractor.

Good to hear  from Gene.  I think I am ready to sell my Honda Shadow as well as the Elite 250.  I have not renewed the plates this year and let the insurance drop last month.  Time to let someone else enjoy them. They do not take huge garage space but when it is full, every bit helps.

I just now found Gene's morning post.  Great looking combine.  Looks new.

For Dean:  Watch those cats.  Not exactly sure but I think I am feeding 20 now.  They sure are good at math.  Multiply like HE double toothpicks.

Charlie
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]