Hello Guest

Ready for Spring

• 23 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
Ready for Spring
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »

I took this shot a couple of days ago on the old homestead. Theres a llittle less snow now as we have had 45 degree temps the last two days.
Anybody recognize the threshing machine?
Ralph in Sask.

Tharsher
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
Hi Ralph,

As much as I know about thrashing machines, it could be anything, but there is some similarity to our old IH McCormick combine sitting in our old pasture lot.  If I remember correctly, I think the combine is a model 61 or maybe a 62.  I have the original book somewhere in the garage so could look the model up.  Even though the thrasher is much larger, the galvanized sheet and angle iron construction is a lot similar.

Charlie V.

Ready for Spring
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »
Ralph, going to guess it is a Case. Our IHC and a friends Belle City have much longer feeders when folded for transport.

RG8800

• View Profile
Huber
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »
Guys, in fact my sources tell me this threshing machine is a Huber. I couldn't find any name on it anywhere but an old neighbour who remembered what it was told me. Plus I was able to find the bill of sale when my grandfather and his brother bought it about 1936 I think.
Ralph in Sask.

Question
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 07:32:18 AM »
Now that the thrasher is out of the way, what is the story on the neat little field stone structure in the foreground of the picture.  Someone did really neat mason work.

Charlie V.

Ready for Spring
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »
Huber? Sure resembles a Gleaner. Maybe Gleaner made it for Huber
Dave E

RG8800

• View Profile
Ready for Spring
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;624
Now that the thrasher is out of the way, what is the story on the neat little field stone structure in the foreground of the picture.  Someone did really neat mason work.

Charlie V.

Charlie, trying to make a long story short, that cairn marks the Nevard Wildlife Sanctuary. It was constructed of field stone (no shortage of them on that land) in 1983 after the land was donated to the Sask. Wildlife Federation. The land was homestead land taken in 1903 by my grandfather's brother, Ernest Nevard, and eventually passed down to his sons, William and Richard. Hoping to preserve the land in it's semi-natural state, Richard donated the land to the wildlife federation and they had a local stone mason construct the cairn.
Of the 320 acres there is only about 180 acres of cultivated land (currently farmed by me), so lots of wild land for the deer etc.
Picture from 1984 showing the size.
The net is slow as molasses this morning and I can't waste any more time trying to get this picture over here. Hopefully this link will work for you.
http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/41692/2725643000032927439S425x425Q85.jpg
Ralph in Sask.

Cairn
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
Very interesting, Ralph.  Many thanks for the explanation.  I learned something new today.  The link to the picture worked fine.

Charlie V.

Ready for Spring
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
Speaking of trying to identify equipment I have noticed over the years that Case, IH, and Deere put logos in most castings on the really old stuff. Case used the eagle, IH used the IHC logo (the one with all the letters on top of each other) and Deere used a JD with the J and the D sharing the same vertical leg. Any other manufacturers use similar logos on their castings, and does anyone know what they are.