Hello Guest

Western Ohio Update

• 1194 Replies
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #810 on: December 06, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
No, Charlie, didn't see the video. Couldn't have been anyone from around here. Nobody steals anything to work with. There was a skit on Hee Haw about that. Nobody from Cornfield County steals anything to work with.

I bought a new plastic scoop shovel a couple weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I noticed Ralph's shovel had snow sticking on it. I spray mine with silicone spray and the snow doesn't stick to it. Makes it a lot easier to use. Works good for grain and feed too.

Been a dreary day here too. Had light rain early this morning and just overcast the rest of the day. Temperature has been 34 degrees all day.

May decide to take the motor home and go to Florida for a couple weeks in February for the Florida Flywheeler show. Think that would be a good outing for a change.

Worked in the shop all day. Working on the log splitter. Got the mounting all figured out. Need another piece of 3 inch channel iron and will have to get another coupling then should be ready to go. Lot of figuring and head scratching, but can make it work now.

Watching the Ohio State-Wisconsin football game. Ohio State is ahead 38 to 0 at half time. Looks like they are out for blood for sure.

Gene

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #811 on: December 06, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
HeeHaw was a must watch for me too, Gene.  Archie Campbell and Nurse Goodbody.  Hey doc, it hurts when I raise my arm.  (slap  / hit)  Well don't raise your arm then!!!!!

String bean with his letter from home right close to his heart.  The KORN News.  Good stuff.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #812 on: December 07, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
Ohio sunrise, 12-7-14[ATTACH=CONFIG]763[/ATTACH]

Nice crisp clear morning. Temp is 24 degrees this AM.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #813 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
Brilliant sunshine with 34 deg. F at 10:50 AM.  Change promised later and not for the better.  Took a short drive down a sidewalk yesterday when a brake line on my truck gave up.  Missed the cars that were stopped in front of me and the line of barrier posts that were meant to keep vehicles off of the sidewalk though.  Alls well that ends well I guess.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #814 on: December 10, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
New piece of line installed and the truck is back home waiting for snow detail.  Temp just below freezing with light snow.  All sorts of wild predictions for snowfall over the next two days.  We shall see.  The NE and N wind up to 35 MPH is going to be the uncomfortable part.

Pulled some batteries out and brought them to the bench yesterday so little by little.  Hope to have them all by spring when it is time to put them back in.

Charlie V.

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #815 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Quote from: Charlie V;2437
Brilliant sunshine with 34 deg. F at 10:50 AM.  Change promised later and not for the better.  Took a short drive down a sidewalk yesterday when a brake line on my truck gave up.  Missed the cars that were stopped in front of me and the line of barrier posts that were meant to keep vehicles off of the sidewalk though.  Alls well that ends well I guess.

Charlie

Charlie, that must have been a short but exciting ride. Glad you were able to ride it out with no casualties.
Gene probably knows this already but we are having above normal temps here in Sask. today. High 30s and sunshine. Hope it doesn't melt all our snow.
Got another old car video uploaded to youtube showing the 52 Mercury as it is today and as it was over 50 years ago.
[video=youtube;8SqaLFjDKEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqaLFjDKEM[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #816 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Great job with that video, Ralph.  I cannot remember what happened to the '52 Mercury wagon that I bought from the dealership where I worked after high school.  Second gear was gone out on it but it was a running car otherwise.  I paid them $ 25.00 for it.  Never did get to working on the old girl.

Charlie

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #817 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
Yes, Ralph, I checked your weather this morning early and at 36 degrees you were warmer by 8 degrees Than me and Charlie. We have been cloudy all day and never got above freezing and forecast is for 20 degrees tonight with clouds hanging around through tomorrow. Should be in the 50's by the weekend.

Charlie's wild ride is something one hopes to never repeat again.

Enjoyed the Mercury retrieval. I imagine it brings back a lot of memories. Are you the younger or older brother? You may have said before, but it escapes me.

Finished the new engine installation on the log splitter yesterday evening. Haven't tried splitting any wood yet, but it seems to have plenty power. Will try to give it a test tomorrow.

Hauled 2 trips of corn to the feed mill. Have one more trip tomorrow and I will be done. That will make 36 trips to this place, plus 7 trips of ear corn to organic dairy farmer and 2 loads of food grade soybeans to Mount Victory. All trips are 30 miles each way, so makes about 2700 miles hauling mostly pulling 2 wagons. Be a relief when all done.

My first vehicle was a 1948 Mustang motorcycle I paid $75.00. My dad went to the bank to co-sign the loan so I could buy it. Dad never played any favorites with any of us kids. We all had to make our own way.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #818 on: December 11, 2014, 07:16:14 AM »
Looks like Ralph can leave his mittens in the house this morning. 32 degrees and 39 degrees just west of Regina. Charlie has gotten his snowplow truck going just in time. Looks like New York is in for some snow. Ohio just cold this morning at 20 degrees with heavy frost. May finally get some sunshine some time today.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #819 on: December 11, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
Not a bad day here.  Started out @ 24 deg. F and a little warmer now.  Six to Eight inches of snow between yesterday and last night.  It is not feather light but not as heavy as I thought it would be because temp. was above freezing when the snowing started.  I went out this morning and shoveled a work area, then fired up the new blower.  Cleared the walkways, then went on to do the driveway.  With the ground underneath being not frozen and actually soft in places that prevented the need to make tire ruts here and there with the truck and no snowbanks along the edge.  We could use a deeper snow to really give the blower a good test but it ran well and threw snow pretty good.  Some features seem a little cheezy and not made to last for many years but time will tell.  With a three year warranty it may get quite a few good tests.  One thing that needs to go are the skid runners.  They do not curve up enough at the front edge and are more than willing to catch and hang up on any obstacle or even in soft ground.   Apparently Husqvarna thinks their machines are only used on blacktop surfaces but that is not so.  I know aftermarket skidders are available on the net or I may have to fabricate.   Maybe I can sent a print to Gene so he can make me a set with lift over metal from his log splitter engine mount fabrication.  :)  :)   :)  

Other than that I do not know much at all.  Good that Ralph is getting a little reprieve from his sub zero weather.

Charlie
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:28:25 PM by Charlie V »

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #820 on: December 11, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
Glad you guys liked the video. Maybe it will inspire you to a video or two of your own featuring the wood splitter or snow blower. There is no danger of making ruts in the ground here though. ;)
I sure did take advantage of yesterday's sunshine , mild temps. and no wind. I got most of the stuck valves on the Merc unstuck. With the exception of one stubborn intake valve. I really don't want to remove the heads or manifold unless I have to.
Not so warm today with clouds and a little wind. I'm guessing the humidity is up too as it does not feel as nice as yesterday.
Took this picture at sundown yesterday.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #821 on: December 13, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
Thought I would post a couple pictures of my project from the past week.

Warming up a little bit here. Still cloudy and hazy, 39 degrees. Will be heading to Fort Recovery this evening for the Tri-State Christmas banquet. Will try to not eat too much.

Gene

[ATTACH=CONFIG]766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]765[/ATTACH]

RG8800

• View Profile
Western Ohio Update
« Reply #822 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
Looks like you will be splitting wood in style this winter Gene. One of those new "slant" engines that I have not seen before. I have a photo here somewhere of the splitter my brother built. It runs off his tractor hydraulics.
Ralph in Sask.

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #823 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
Several years ago I built a log splitter and ran it off the hydraulics on the 700. Was mounted on the Eagle Hitch. Worked okay. Couple brothers in law were also cutting some firewood from my woods. Every time I needed to split. the tractor was nearly out of fuel. Seems they didn't know how to buy diesel fuel. I rebuilt the splitter with a 8 hp Kohler from a JD 110. They had to buy gasoline for it them. Was a really good splitter that I sold at my farm sale. Should have kept it.

Been a lot of fog in the northern plains to the east coast. Has hung on to northern tier states most of the past week and Ohio got  a taste of it over night. Had a high of 45 Sunday and a low this morning at 32 degrees. Rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Gene

Western Ohio Update
« Reply #824 on: December 15, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
Good looking work on the splitter upgrade, Gene.  I have a B&S engine similar to yours on a pressure washer and it leans right into the load.  Probably smaller than yours as it is around a 6 1/2 H.P.
This is a picture of my old splitter.  Pretty simple but it has always done what I need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]767[/ATTACH]

Ralph, I have looked at the Go Pro cameras but so far am chased off by the cost of them for the little use I have.  I did put up a still picture of the new blower.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]768[/ATTACH]

Charlie