Hello Guest

Continental power unit

• 2 Replies
Continental power unit
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
What IH equipment used a Continental power unit with a clutch? I just rebuilt an IY69 with a clutch for a friend. He doesn't know what it came off of. I'm guessing a combine. I have one off of a 50T baler but it used a tightening pulley on the belt.

Continental power unit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
John,

I am fairly sure the one we had on a model 62 combine had a clutch.  I remember that to engage it was necessary to push down a lever that protruded out from the bell housing.  You then released a lock tab and let the lever up slow to engage the clutch and start the whole machine turning.  There was a rope from the end of the lever under a pully. and to the tractor seat.  In the event of a plug or a stone in the combine, pulling the rope disengaged the clutch drive to minimize damage to the machine.

I am not sure about the unit on the New Holland baler. That may have been belt tighten as you suggest. I will look at that unit the next time I am out back.

Charlie

Continental power unit
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
The New Holland baler that dad had 50 years ago had a 4 cylinder Wisconsin. I don't now how good of a machine that was, as all the stories I have ever heard about it dealt with problems.

We've got a Deere 30 pull type combine. It has a 4 cylinder JD power unit (HA92?). It uses a rope to engage the clutch. I was running it one day and noticed every time I turned a corner the combine seemed to be slowing down--the rope had gotten hung up in the 3pt hitch and was causing the clutch to slip while I was turning around!

We've also got a 6 cylinder IH power unit off of a silage cutter. It has its own clutch. We bought it to pull a grain dryer with. Basically it is a truck engine. It ran the dryer enough to completely wear out the augers. We replaced them and then ran it several more years. Prior to all that it had worn out the silage cutter it came with.