Hello Guest

Still hand cranking tractors

• 6 Replies
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »
In another posting there is some talk about what is considered to be an old or early tractor.  Someone mentioned whether it had a battery or not.

This got me to thinking about hand cranked vs starter equipped tractors.  I've got a couple tractors that are both hand cranked or can be started with a battery and starter.

My Farmall A has both, but I've probably only started it a couple times with the starter and am sure the battery has been dead for many years now.  It starts so easy with the hand crank that I don't see any need to replace the battery and get the electrical system working.

My Oliver 99 also has both, but I use the starter on it. I even took the hand crank off the front as I've never tried to hand start it and really don't want to try it.  With the starter cranking it needs, I know I'd be tired if I was doing it by hand.  Of course I guess if everything was well tuned and in good shape it should start by hand without a lot of cranking.

So do you still use hand cranked tractors around your place?  If your tractor has both starting methods, which one do you use?

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
My 1948 Farmall Cub is my only that I sometimes HandCrank start and only when it's battery is down. I have other tractors that can be hand-cranked but I also use the electric starter. Merton

Hand crank
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »
My 10-20 and JD H are wind up models, with no electric.  I have about three more non running tractors that are crank only also.  I pretty much learned the ins and ouches of cranking as a kid. We had a Farmall Regular, F-20, and JD L as well as an IHC combine and a New Holland baler ---all crank start. It is nice not to have to maintain batteries. but pushing the button sure is easier.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
I use my Case "V" mostly for pulling my dump trailer and hauling firewood. It is very narrow and so is the trailer, so very handy in the woods. This tractor will start on the third cylinder in any weather. At 10 degrees, I can pull the choke out half way and start by the crank. It has a good 12 volt battery and starter works very well. Just a satisfaction to crank it. In very cold weather the starter drive will freeze and not engage, so just automatically crank it.
My LA is a different story. Last time I hand cranked it, I forgot to retard the timing and kicked back and left a nasty gash on the outside of my left forearm. Course it has an overbore sleeve set and an LP head. And yes, I was pulling up on the crank at the time.
My DC, VAI and 530 all have front mounted pumps, so cranking is not an option and neither are the 3 diesels. The VAIW and S have an I-bolt in the Crank hole for tie down, so can't crank them either. The VC can be cranked, but has a good 12 volt system and starts evert time, but seldom gets used. I only have one crank for all the tractors that I can crank... Gene

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
Forgot to add that my dog always barks when I am hand cranking a tractor. Guess he remembers me trying to start the "V" before I installed the new mag coil. Those were frustrating times... Gene

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Farmall tractors are the norm around here so most of them you find still have the crank for backup. We have a Cub, 2 Super-A's, an M and a DC Case that are all used around the farm and can be cranked by hand if the battery fails. I also have an older JD pull type combine that has an engine on it. We haven't used it in a few years (its kept as a backup in case the other combine breaks). It also has a crank for backup starting which I have used more than once. I also have a really old New Holland hay baler with a Wisconsin engine that can be hand cranked--I had to do it last year come to think of it. My generator has a Wisconsin engine and electric start but I have cranked it by hand as well. Having said all that I much prefer electric start on equipment for wroking.

RG8800

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
I've only resorted to hand cranking a tractor when desperate. DAd used to crank the Cockshutt 50 when the battery gave out in winter time and he seemed to do ok. I've tried it on the DC4 Case back in the days when it would actually start. Heard too many stories of broken wrists and arms as a result of backfiring engines so I was always a little over -cautious I guess. Nowadays if it won't start I get a bigger battery, the battery booster, or another tractor and chain.
Ralph in Sask.