Hello Guest

Propane Tank Question

• 4 Replies
Propane Tank Question
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
Boredom prevents me from giving up on this forum quite yet, and I have been having problems posting to the main list so here's my question:  I purchased a trailer with two 30-lb propane tanks to feed the heater and generator.  The tanks have the old style fittings on them.  Can I just switch out the fittings or do I have to buy new tanks?  I think I also heard that as long as it was an RV I could get the old tanks filled, but I haven't tested that theory yet.  Does anyone know?

Propane Tank Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »
Hi Joe.

I am not sure about anything, but I think that in NYS all tanks have to be tested and date stamped every 6 years.  The local gas station that hires teens to refill them may never check, but large dealers usually do.  You can use the old style fitting as long as the tank is still dated.  If you have then tested, will they want to change the valve assembly???  Not sure so not much help here.  Do  the regs vary from state to state or are they National?? guess I would have to do some googleing.

Charlie V.

Propane Tank Question
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
Tanks under 40 lbs need the OPD valve.  If you have an old tank without the OPD valve you can continue using it until the tank needs to be recertified.  Tanks are good for 12 years before needing to be recertified.  Your tanks are likely to be older than 12 years if they don't have the OPD valve.  Look at the last certified dates on your tanks to decide whether you want to switch fittings or just buy new replacements.  The date on your tanks are what the refill station should be looking at, although some places refill without checking.

Propane Tank Question
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
just exchange the tanks at a local quick mart with propane exchange. They seldom check them...

Gene

Propane Tank Question
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Thanks Guys.  They are 30-lb tanks, and I did some checking around and new ones can be had for around $60 each.  I'll probably just go ahead and buy new ones.  It wouldn't hurt to change out all the lines and fittings anyway, at least there will be less chance of the gas leaking out through a hold in the line (which would probably cost more than the new tanks).  I really want to try and get the generator fired up on the trailer I bought late last year, getting new tanks will be the first step.  I am alos on 32's now, so I seem to have quite a bit of time on my hands.

Joe