Hello Guest

In Search of Spring

• 5 Replies

RG8800

• View Profile
In Search of Spring
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
Although the calendar says spring, it is not yet fit to work on machinery as there is snow everywhere and the temperature stays below normal with the endless east wind blowing. Although it did look nice the other day as I drove through the Qu'appelle valley and shot this video. But you can see theres plenty of snow out here. [video=youtube;jl8lGMFBdM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl8lGMFBdM8[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

In Search of Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
I'm ready for Spring too!
Where I live, we've set a new record for the longest period in the new year without a 60 degree f day.
There is a chance we might make it to 60 in the next couple of days.

We're also having the 4th or 5th wettest March on record for our area.  We've had measurable rain every day in March.

I'm looking forward to my trip in a couple weeks down to California where I hope to see some sun and wamer temperatures.

George

In Search of Spring
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
Hoping for spring here too. Promise is for warmer temperatures by first of the week, maybe to 60's by Tuesday. Today it is warmer in all of Minnesota than here. Hopefully they can get rid of the snow without flooding on the Red River. Just came in from bringing in a load of firewood and it was sleeting with ice pellets the size of pencil erasers. Stung when they hit my face. A little rain will do some good before planting time to build up some sub soil moisture.

Ralph, looks like you may be getting warmer temperatures. Is your snow starting to melt?

Gene

RG8800

• View Profile
In Search of Spring
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
Last I heard we were within a decimal point of the coldest March on record but April is starting out a little better with few sunny days above freezing. We can start to see the stubble sticking through the snow on the hilltops anyway. Hard packed snow on the driveways melting to slush. Theres still snowbanks deeper than the snowblower so its going to be a while yet. Rain and wet snow last night, not what anybody wanted. 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Anyway, the cleaned seed wheat is in the bin. [video=youtube;o2S0ImSjJRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2S0ImSjJRY[/video]
Ralph in Sask.

In Search of Spring
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Thinking ahead to summer made me think back to 2007.  At the NYS 2 cylinder expo I was browsing through a huge green and yellow tent filled with green and yellow tractors and equipment.  Almost to the other side of the tent I discovered this little guy sitting in the grass between other items in a small two foot x one foot opening.  It was in plain view, but certainly not obvious.  I had to chuckle at how far it was out of it's element.  I wonder if it was a spy planted by IH to monitor the competition.

Charlie V.

In Search of Spring
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
A little rain will do some good before planting time to build up some sub soil moisture.

Ralph, looks like you may be getting warmer temperatures. Is your snow starting to melt?

Gene[/QUOTE]

Well, should have kept to myself about needing rain. Yesterday morning I was up at 5:00am and 68 degrees. Had a doctor appointmeat and left the house at 7:15 and just started sprinkling. Got constantly harder all day and turned cplder to 44 degrees by 4:00pm. Low areas were flooded last night and had a river across my lawn and front hayfield. Hope at least some of it soaked in.

Today we have had a high of 41 degrees and by Friday forecast to be in the 70's. Even had snow flurries a little while ago when I went to the mailbox. Good March weather, wish the weather girl would look at the calendar.

Gene